Do I need to have my library location mapped as a drive?

smarty39

smarty39

Just curious if I need to have my NAS (library) mapped as a network drive on my MBC machine?  To me, the fact that MBS is 'hosting' everything and streaming from within makes me think that the mapped drive shouldn't be necessary...does that make sense?  As I have it right now, I cannot play my media without the drive mapped...is this just the way it is?

TIA ;)

smarty39

Correct, as of right now I cannot play my media without my NAS drive (where my media is stored) mapped.  Not a huge deal, was more just curious.

It doesn't really make sense to me though as having the server aspect of MB should eliminate the need for drive mapping, or am I still missing something?

You need to define your library on the server using UNC paths as suggested on that screen.

Mbc is not designed to stream.

smarty39

Yes, I can access via UNC...I'll try that instead tonight

@@Luke - not sure how much more detail I can give?  If I have the drive mapped (in my case V:\NAS\Video) on the local machine (machine running MBC) everything works fine.  If I don't have it mapped then I can't play any media, but all the metadata, etc. shows up properly.

smarty39

Thanks for the quick replies...I will switch to UNC pathing tonight when I get home.

Cheers!

smarty39

No it is not.  MB3 Server is on it's own PC.  My library (NAS) is on it's own, and every instance of MBC is on its own.

I just logged in using the web browser (great addition btw) and changed all my folder paths to UNC.  I will test when I get home but I'm sure that is all I was missing.

Thanks again for the quick help!

But you still haven't gone into any detail beyond "I can't do it". So it's hard to help if that's all the information you can provide.