Roku Question

Don
Go to solution Solved by gcw07,

Forgive me if this has been covered already.

I know nothing at all about the Roku. I've always used a PC for our media. I am considering purchasing a Roku though, after reading all the praise here about the beta app, to make it easier for my wife and kids.

The question I have is; will it play all of my video formats? I have almost everything. MKV's, mp4's avi's and primarily, Video_TS folder as well as straight folder rips of Blurays. I don't want to invest the money just to find out that half of my movies won't work!

Also, do you guys find it easier to operate than a PC?

thanks!

• Solution

The Roku is a great little device and I think perfect on secondary screens to act like an extender. But it isn't going to be as powerful as a full PC so things like themes and ability to do all the bells and whistles isn't something it can do. It is easy to use imo.

As for playback. The Roku can directly play mp4 and mkv's (if the video inside is h264). The rest would be transcoded by the MB Server. For the most part people haven't had problems playing any of those files, but you might have trouble with folder rips. While the server attempts to handle folder rips and transcode those, there is no guarantee that they will work. Most software won't even attempt to play those back and while we do and for the most part they work, there is the possibility you will come across ones that don't.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this first explanation about Roku.

Between the four models, wich is this enough to read all the outflow of MB3 behind with 1080P, DTS etc.. ?

It would be a gift to french user and use only the MB3 part on my server. I do not see too what is it can be used otherwise.

Channels and programs offered are all U.S. obviously. No fr-subtitle or fr-program, channel... ?

Edited by Jinroh

gcw07

Well I don't exactly know the cost difference overseas in the models so my choice would be based of US pricing. Based off of that, I'd have to suggest the Roku 3. We are talking $20 difference in price and it is by far the most powerful version of the Roku currently available. Not to mention things like youtube and Netflix are limited to Roku 3 for now for a reason. It just has a more powerful cpu in it. So to me the cost difference in minimal and it gives you a model that can last you a couple years instead of starting off behind the curve.

rrb008

I got mine from amazon uk. ( Roku 3)

1st because of voltage ( we use 220v)

2nd because of import costs, even though in the US is a lot cheaper, with postage and import charges it really won't.

As for the rest, it does a pretty good job with almost all formats either with direct play or transcoding ( so far I can't complain)

As channels go, I guess he'll just have to go by trial and error ( and it's easy enough). Of course he could "cheat" into getting US only channels, but that's not the point here, but there are a lot of channels to choose from either official or private ones.

I'd say it's a good buy if you're looking for something simpler and somewhat versatile, but it won't ever replace a real htpc.

bruce73

Just received my Roku 3 yesterday and was immediately impressed. I'm so glad I didn't go with a refurbished Roku 2 XS for a few dollars less. As a bedroom device the audio through the remote is also a big plus (for me *and* my downstairs neighbor, lol).

Now how does one get a MB3 client on it? Is that a sideload or can I download directly from the device?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by bruce73

CBers

Now how does one get a MB3 client on it? Is that a sideload or can I download directly from the device?Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Search via the Roku store.

Ok, price will not be a choice. Roku 3 is best.

So last thing is interest roku outside US, whitout cheat, not considerong the MB3.

I think, just for MB3 Roku 3 will be a good idea for travel r tv night with friends.

@rrb0_ : you'are right for voltage. Does Roku need an adaptater ?

Edited by Jinroh