How to browse music by folder

borekb

Hi, one of my main frustrations with MCE and the whole Windows-centric approach to music is how it tries to hide the plain folder structure from me and push the "album", "artist", "genre" etc. nonsense. My library is not very well tagged so this was a major issue.

My hope was that Media Browser would solve this for me but again, I can't see how to browse Music by folders. Is it possible? If not, why? Photos can do that so maybe I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks,

Borek

Happy2Play

Have you tried Folder view in My preference?  Click your user icon in top right.

549d3c17ceeee_folder.png

• Like 1

Tried that but I still can't find a "Folders" link at the top or anything that would allow me to browse my library by folder. This is how it looks like:

549da9f8ac490_mediabrowsermusicbyfolder.

I have a folder called "Koledy" (xmas carols) inside which there are more subfolder but here in the library I simply cannot see it.

They do not understand what you really want. And I like long time, music to be displayed as a folder view like in Windows explorer, but i don't understand why is not possible. In Mediabrowser 2.6.2 with the music plugins was possible.

In the year 2015 hoping for miracles :)

Happy2Play

They do not understand what you really want. And I like long time, music to be displayed as a folder view like in Windows explorer, but i don't understand why is not possible. In Mediabrowser 2.6.2 with the music plugins was possible.

In the year 2015 hoping for miracles :)

That is exactly what folder view does. The last screenshot is exact folder layout as explorer.  But you have to enable folders view then click folders to navigate folders view.  You can not click music because that will take you to the original UI.

I started a similar thread here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/15937-music-mood-playlists/

The issue I came across with adding the folder view, is it creates an album for that folder based on the first artists added. Then ever song after that gets added to that album.

I think if they can fix the metadata lock feature, this is the best solution for now. You can create an album for each folder and customize it with description, cover image, fan art, etc.Then you can simply shuffle the music in that album (folder) for listening.

That is exactly what folder view does. The last screenshot is exact folder layout as explorer.  But you have to enable folders view then click folders to navigate folders view.  You can not click music because that will take you to the original UI.

No, the folders view does not display the same layout as Windows Explorer. It flattens the structure so if I don't know how the album inside the "Carols" folder is named, I cannot easily find it.

BTW "by folder" should in my opinion just be another view inside the main library. For such a mainstream use case I don't quite understand why this functionality is so deeply hidden.