Server not auto-identifying titles: Now using filenames, not folder

Marc_G

Hi folks,

A couple weeks ago Media Browser Server (on my Win7 system) stopped auto-identifying movies, making me go in and manually identify them one by one. This is a very different behavior than I'm used to. In my experience it almost always automatically found the movies before, until this sudden shift.

What seems to be happening is that the server metadata manager is now trying the parse the filename of the movie, instead of the folder name. My folders have always been named according to TheMovieDB standards, so this wasn't a problem. The filenames I've used don't necessarily bear any resemblance to the movie name and are often just "Title_0.mkv" or some such as created by MakeMKV.

When I manually go in to identify the movie, it shows me the filename and lets me edit that tag to go look for metadata; manually adjusting it lets me identify the movies.

How do I set the server to go back to using the folder names for identification, instead of the filename? I poked around in the server without finding anything immediately obvious...

I'm on server Version 3.0.5464.40000

Thanks

Marc

I believe it was changed by design - although I'm not sure if the design is final...

Really? Wow, I guess I missed that, need to keep up with the forum more. That will totally change my naming/import process.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure.  I may have mis-understood something Luke said because that does seem like a major change.

What's the best way to get this in front of a decision maker for the content identification feature? I can't believe this was intentional...

I can see that it might be a desirable OPTION, but making it the default behavior seems against a very common use case (use of MakeMKV or similar tools ripping discs). The ripping software makes a pretty good guess at creating proper folder names that work fine about 3/4th the time (and I manually edit the folder prior to rip if I think it's not good enough), but the filename, with the "t01" or whatever, will never be properly identified, and will require edit 100% of the time.

I'm sure a quick review by whoever is in charge of this feature will agree, once it gets to their attention. Please let me know the best way to document/escalate this for review. I've reviewed the how to report a problem post, but this is less of a bug needing log, and more of a "chat with developer about use case" kind of thing.

The awesome part is that MB3 is so far along that quibbling about naming structures is the most severe problem I can find after 5 years of use... Great work guys!

Marc

skidmarks

THIS is a huge change from how folder naming and file structure had to be done in the past.  A few weeks ago my metadata also went to crap.  Its such a mess now i am not even sure where to start cleaning it up.  I have duplicate everything now.

skidmarks

EBR you have always been one of my media browser gods around here!  I appreciate everything you do for everybody!  I am sure it will be taken care of, but man do i have a mess to clean up! 

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this.

I'll just sit tight and wait patiently for a fix. I mean, fixing metadata due to this does consume several minutes out of a typical week for me, but I'll find a way to live with it for the moment...

:P

Thanks EBR

skidmarks

With my RECENT experience DEV line is still bad...  I deleted all my duplicate metadata and it was trying to do it again.  I forgot if (from a few years ago) you go to the dev version you cant delete mediabrowser after it.  I just scanned and deleted all mediabrowser infor from my registry, and if that doesn't do the trick i am ready to throw in the windows 7 disk and format AGAIN to try and get my server back under control. 

Edited by skidmarks

MrFlibbles

Is this issue what is causing all the duplicate image files to be downloaded? e.g. backdrop.jpg as well as moviename.720p-backdrop.jpg

I thought the moviename.720p-backdrop.jpg format was for Kodi compatibility, but I have all that turned off as far as I can tell. Although, on the Metadata>Kodi tab it states, "To enable or disable Kodi metadata, use the Advanced tab to configure options for your media types." The Advanced tab has no such settings for media types.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that the problem seems to have cleared up. I'm on auto-update so I'm not sure exactly when the problem went away, but I added some content yesterday to my Movies section and proper metadata was found following automatic identification. Thanks for the fix, and for the support along the way!!