Cannot connect from outside, port forwarding issue?

embeathome

embeathome

Hi all,

1st of all Merry Christmas to all of you guys!

No matter what i do, i cannot connect to MBS from outside of my network. I tried all possible but no luck. I also read here in tutorials post about port forwarding, also checked manual for my Asus router. So i would need help from someone more skilled. Here is my scenario:

- MBS installed on my FreeNas server, i can access it from my home LAN network with iphone, android devices and also from client desktop PC

- My router is Asus RT-AC66U, i set port forwarding as below attached screenshot, no luck.

- I have contacted my ISP and they confirmed they don't block any port

- I have static IP, as per whatismyip.org, my IP adress is 158.xxx.xxx.xx

- As per my router, my WAN IP is 192.168.0.155

- FreeNas server has static IP address 192.168.1.200

- DDNS is turned of in router

- If i check http://www.portchecktool.com./ if ports are open, when i insert my ports 8096 and 8945, it returns following result: Problem! I could not see your service on 158.xxx.xxx.xxx on port (8945). Reason: Connection refused.

- Ports 22(SSH) and 80(HTTP) are returning Success! I can see your service on 158.xxx.xxx.xxx on port (80) Your ISP/Router/Firewall is not blocking port 80.

What am I missing in my settings? What else should I set to make it running?

Many thanks!

post-10423-0-76577700-1419433577_thumb.jpg

Edited by embeathome

Angelblue05

First of, Merry Christmas to you too!

I will try to help you, but I'm not very familiar with FreeNas. Btw, the port 8945 is no longer required. As Cbers pointed out, please remove your external IP from your post. It is not safe to post on public forums.

According to the information you've posted, your router port forwarding seems correct.

Is there a firewall setup or anything you can think that might block incoming connection on your FreeNas? Is there any other router or switch between your internet connection and your FreeNas server, or is it just your asus router? Let us know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

CBers

I'd remove your FIXED IP ADDRESS if I was you - you never know who's reading these posts !!

Port 8096 is the only port you need - if you have firewall software running on the PC running MBS, then disable it and see if that works.

If it does, then you need to work out how to allow the port through.

Is the PC running MBS a fixed IP address ??

shaefurr

As others said you should edit your post and remove your IP for your safety.

Aside from that your setup looks correct, is the router the only device between your NAS and the web? Is the router configured as the modem? Or do you have a separate modem? If its not and you have a modem you'll need to setup port forwarding in the there as well.

Is  your setup like this

1) Web > Modem > Router > NAS

Or like this

2) Web > Router > NAS

If its like example 1, setup port forwarding in the modem of port 8096 to the IP of your Asus router.

embeathome

Thanks guys i already edited my public IP address ;)

There is just switch between router and FreeNas server. This is switch possible to manage so i will have a look in the settings of that switch.

FreeNas has static IP address and there is no firewall nor antivirus SW installed.

Firewall in router is turned off.

So it should be like below:

Internet-->Router-->Switch-->FreeNas server....

martin

P.S. Mediabrowser is best i love it and i must say thanks to Devs for amazing job done!!!

shaefurr

Your switch shouldn't be causing any issues since they usually forward everything.

I asked because ive noticed some people setup their router to port forward, but forget to setup their cable/dsl/etc modem to port forward as well. The router you listed isnt a modem, its just a router, so there must be something else plugged into it to access the internet.

What does your Asus router connect to on the WAN port? Does it connect to a modem or something? What type of ISP you you use?

Angelblue05

What type of switch is it? Is it an actual switch, or maybe a router turn into an access point? What brand is it?

I know normally they forward everything, but having more information about it would help rule the switch out of the equation. :)

embeathome

guys I have checked my switch (Netgear GS108E) and it seems it has really nothing to do with port forwarding. I have checked once again my stuff - from the roof there is a cable entering the house to Ubiquiti power supply, hopefully this is not a modem also...attached prinstcreen,,,and from it, cable goes directly to router, Nothing behind router except switch or behind this Ubiquiti stuff,

post-10423-0-90866000-1419460486_thumb.jpg

shaefurr

Ah ok, with that type of ISP the router is also the antenna up on your roof or wherever it is. It goes into a power supply and then into your home router. You can see in the pic below how the setup is.

install_on_ubiquiti_equipment_setup_1.pn

Its still should have its own setup, try and follow this guide to access the configuration webpage to port forward mediabrowser on it.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Ubiquiti/AirOS/Media_Browser.htm

• Like 1

Catsrules

I believe freenas runs Media browser in a Jail. (Similar to a virtual machine) it is possible that this Jail has its own IP address. If this is the case then freenas will have one IP address and media browser will have a different ip. It should say the ip address in the jail management in Freenas. Once you have MB's IP then you can port forward to the correct IP.

embeathome

@ shaefurr - Kudos for you! I contacted ISP again and they have re-checked settings in Ubiquiti stuff and found it acts as router, not bridge. So i had to change some settings in my router (WAN settings-->Internet to PPPOE with login and password) and they changed behavior of ubiquity and now all works fine!!

Many many thanks!

Now i am trying to get Wake on Lan working from outside of home my LAN. In home LAN it works OK, My WOL android app wakes FreeNas server without any issues (after setting ifconfig in FreeNas shell), i am able to send network message to wake up PC from my Asus RT-AC66U from outside of my LAN, but i am not able to make it working with any app i tried. Simply nothing happens....it is possible that Router blocks packets from outside despite i set Port forwarding to ports 7 and 9 and also turned firewall in router off...

Any idea?

Ah ok, with that type of ISP the router is also the antenna up on your roof or wherever it is. It goes into a power supply and then into your home router. You can see in the pic below how the setup is.

install_on_ubiquiti_equipment_setup_1.pn

Its still should have its own setup, try and follow this guide to access the configuration webpage to port forward mediabrowser on it.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Ubiquiti/AirOS/Media_Browser.htm

Edited by embeathome
  • Like 1