MB3 Classic not playing MKV's on extender

riverboat2001

riverboat2001

Every time i try to play an MKV on my 360 extender it tells me it can't find the right codec. It then freezes  MB3 Classic on the 360. The only way to get it back up and running is to press the Media button, go into recorded TV, play something from there, and then go back into Media Browser.

In the Classic configurator i have transcode set for .mkv

All was playing and working fine until i updated to MB3 Server and Classic

Everything plays perfect downstairs on the HTPC (the server) so i know the file is fine and the correct decoder is installed.

I have Shark Codecs installed.

riverboat2001

I followed the guide for installing LAV codecs to the letter, but no change (uninstalled Shark codecs before installing the LAV ones)

Again, all plays fine in WMC, but not on 360

But i don't get any codec notifications in the task bar either. (despite ticking the option to show the info)

I suspect it's due to the Hardware Acceleration option I've picked.

I have a Radeon HD 7650D card, but what ever option i pick in that Hardware Acceleration option it says inactive.

S

riverboat2001

Right, I've got the LAV filter icons showing when playing the right type of files that require them. I've even got subtitles showing up in an AVI file, but no luck in an MP4 film.

So i'm happy that that is all working correctly. However, still no joy on the MKV on the 360.

Strange that nothing else had change apart from the installation of MB3

swhitmore

Hmm, I sent him my media info. He said it should work. I think it's a codec issue... somewhere.

I'm really no expert.  The DVD drive died in my xbox almost a year ago and I've never gone to the hassle to replace it.  The kids use the Roku now for their MB.

Hopefully, you can get it going.

riverboat2001

I don't understand how it can be a codec issue for me as it was all working fine be fore i upgraded mb3

I don't understand how it can be a codec issue for me as it was all working fine be fore i upgraded mb3

And you didn't change anything else at the same time?  Also, are you sure the configuration is the same?

The playback in MBC is virtually identical to that of MB2.  We aren't doing anything different except reporting status to the server.

This is old but make sure you have all the valid formats listed in the MBC Configurator. I dont use Transcode 360 but I moved away from MKV early on in favor of m2ts. If your insistent on using MKV, you need to make sure the only thing inside your MKV's is audio/video tracks with no header compression, subtitles or chapters will cause issues in 360 playback. I'm currently using LAV filters, I noticed the LAV filters decreases the picture quality on certain formats a little bit, but I find it more reliable then relying on a codec package like sharks. I tested a clean MKV with MBC and LAV and it plays here on the 360's.

skidmarks

The majority of my library is MKV files...  All but a handful will play on the XBOX extender.  I am using sharks codec packs.  If your using X64 windows make sure you have both the x32 and x64 advanced codec packs installed.  Without both you will not be able to play your files.  I also put the extenstion .mkv in the extender formats in MBC configurator (extenders + iso tab).  I do not know if that matters because i do not have Enable Transcode360 checked.  Using Sharks "suggested settings".

Maybe you need to uninstall sharks codec packs reboot and reinstall?  Maybe its that simple.   

david3663

In shark007 settings make sure disable divx media foundation splitter is not checked and it should work fine. Thats what i always do anyways.