redirecting a web address to internal ip

Swynol

Swynol

Hey not a MB question but wondering if anyone can help.

i own a domain name. i was wondering if there was a way if i type the domain name while on my local network it will forward to an internal IP.

for example a subdomain called mb3.mydomain.net  to 192.168.1.1:8096

i thought i could do it via a host file but no luck.

pt1xoom

Hey not a MB question but wondering if anyone can help.

i own a domain name. i was wondering if there was a way if i type the domain name while on my local network it will forward to an internal IP.

for example a subdomain called mb3.mydomain.net  to 192.168.1.1:8096

i thought i could do it via a host file but no luck.

Hi,

You can't put the port number in the host file.  You need to put mb3.mydomain.net to 192.168.1.1 in the host file.  Then in your browser url you have to go http://mb3.mydomain.net:8096.

What about other computers on your network?  It would be best to set up a DNS entry on your router/firewall, or you are going to have to put that entry in every host file on your network.

Swynol

ok thanks, unfortunately my router doesnt support adding dns entry's and i dont really want to install dns software on a pc and point all my machines to that. 

thanks for the help

Your router shouldn't need the DNS entries.  If you have port forwarding on your router (which almost all do) and a static IP for your connection then you should be able to do this.  Just add the DNS entry to your regular DNS service for your domain.  Then add a port forward rule from your public IP to the internal IP with Media Browser. 

Swynol

ah ye i see what you mean. ye i already have this. but if i am on my internal network and want to access mb3 via a domain name it goes external, a few hops from my domain name, dynamic dns host then back to my internal network....

so its a bit slow. was wondering if there was a way to keep it internal.

If your computer never leaves the network, then a HOSTS file can work.  The issues is that it's not dynamic.  Do you have the option of just using the machine name?  In my case, I can just go to http://tv-pc:8096 on my internal network and I get Media Browser.  I also have DNS servers for my internal domain, so I'm able to do the FQDN externally too.  If you don't have a domain you can just get any DNS server and serve up the names that way with a split DNS so internal goes to the local IP.