Server Hardware

theGeek

Is there anywhere that has a good bit of information for MB Server Hardware Requirements?

I'd like to get a dedicated server together but don't know how big I should go with it.

Thanks!

awesome - thanks! 

I'm thinking that since I'll do SOME transcoding (not a ton) and will mostly be streaming local that an i3 should more than cover it.  

Any dissenting votes?  

tornadotj

Does the video driver matter? This may explain the horrible transcoding when playing DVD (VIDEO_TS) folders on my XBOX 360. My server is set to just Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Also, I should ask where the decoding takes place. I'm using the XBOX 360 as an extender, and the HTPC the XBOX connects to is separate from the server where MB Server is installed. Does that mean the HTPC is the decoder, or is it on the server? (I'm thinking it is the HTPC, but not sure).

Edited by tornadotj

I don't believe the 360 can play video_ts rips so, if they are working at all, then they must be getting streamed from the server.

JeremyFr79

The media center machine handles transcoding (if needed) for Xboxes not the server.  Media Center extender basically is a glorified remote desktop connection.  I find the easiest solution for video playback quality issues on Xbox is to use Shark's Codecs, it seems to have the best and easiest support for getting direct play working best on Xboxes.

tornadotj

I have the Shark codecs, you are right they do work best. 

Whatever was causing the problem, it's gone. As of yesterday, my VIDEO_TS folders started working properly on the XBOX extenders.

I think I may have an underpowered HTPC for using to playback, record 3 channels and support 2 extenders at the same time. It is only a little i3 2100 with 4GB RAM. Last night nothing was going but one extender and it worked fine.

Kind of getting off track but I appreciate the information.

I found a not quite new AMD 6-core processor that I forgot I had. In ordered an affordable motherboard and some RAM. I have an old server tower that was empty so after everything arrives today I should be ready to test everything

• 2 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

I have the Shark codecs, you are right they do work best. 

Whatever was causing the problem, it's gone. As of yesterday, my VIDEO_TS folders started working properly on the XBOX extenders.

I think I may have an underpowered HTPC for using to playback, record 3 channels and support 2 extenders at the same time. It is only a little i3 2100 with 4GB RAM. Last night nothing was going but one extender and it worked fine.

Recording won't affect the CPU at all as it's literally just writing the transport stream coming over your cable line to disc, no conversion or transcoding is done.  Only playback/Transcoding will affect CPU usage.