Possible nas drive

rblu19

I found this article on gizmodo about some new hard drives coming out (seem to be unavailable for purchase at the moment, but hopefully coming soon - link below). Would this hard drive be sufficiently fast enough for a nas hard drive? My question mainly stems from how slow they make it sound, but that could just be vs. ssd. After all, if it's good enough, it's a steal at the price point mentioned.

http://gizmodo.com/this-8tb-seagate-hard-drive-only-costs-260-1670222481/all

WarrenH

As I read it they compare it to SSD, even if it's a slower 5200RPM it should still be fine. Make sure your NAS's firmware can actually handle the drive though.

AdrianW

I read someone's comment saying that these "shingled" drives would be bad in a RAID setup - due to the fact that the drives needs to re-write blocks of previously written data when writing new data.

I read someone's comment saying that these "shingled" drives would be bad in a RAID setup - due to the fact that the drives needs to re-write blocks of previously written data when writing new data.

Yeah, that was my main concern, although I still can't say for sure without more info (they seem to be new enough that much of that info may not exist yet). Well, if anyone else has any more info (or for that matter, ways to get around/work with the re-write thing ("just grin and bear it" is acceptable if no other options exist), please let me know. After all, if this drive does in fact turn out to work in a raid setup, I'd imagine many people here would love to hear about that (after all, it's the biggest drive I've seen be commercially available, and also cheaper than, say, a 6tb drive, despite containing 2 extra terabytes.)