Protect individual folders for all users?

tornadotj

tornadotj

Is it possible to password protect an individual folder (library) for all users? In my living room, everyone has access to the same MediaBrowser, and all extenders use the same account also. In MB2, I had the ability to lock a certain library or even lock access to R rated movies, requiring the user to enter a PIN before playback or opening the library. I can't figure out how to do this in MB3.

Also, is it possible to remove categories from the bottom strip? I don't have music on my server, so I have no need for the music items to appear.

Edited by tornadotj

All access and parental control is now handled via user profiles.  So, to restrict content, you will need to create users and give them max parental ratings and/or access to specific media folders.

It gives you a much better level of control since different people can have different levels of access - and even totally different views of the library.  For instance, I don't have all of my daughter's animated films in my library and my Son can see R films while my daughter only PG-13.

Also, you can configure different devices to automatically log in as certain users if that device is mostly used by that person.

• Like 1

tornadotj

I see the advantage. I have figured how I am going to work around it too. I will continue to allow the MBC devices in my living and game room to log into the default. If we wish to view something that would not be appropriate for them, I can switch users.

So let me ask this, on an extender (XBOX 360), is there a way to assign a default user account? In my bedroom, I would not have an issue with it opening automatically to our account. My daughter is old enough that she would never go into our room to watch anything, and other visitors would never go back there. That way I do not have to enter the code all the time. Otherwise, I can just let it go to the main account, and only switch and enter a code when we wanted to watch something protected.

Edited by tornadotj

Yes, just log in to the account you wish to be the default on the extender.  Then go to the config page and set the "Start up Behavior" to "Log in current user".