Subtitles?

GizmoGuy

GizmoGuy

Hi all... newbie here... well, MB3 newbie.

Subtitles are critical for us (hearing problems).

Can't find subtitles for movies with MB3.  All my movies are MakeMKV rips with subtitles included.  Been running old MB in MCE environment for several years using MPC-HC as external player within MB and had subtitle control from the "i" button on MCE remote.  With MB3, "i" gets me only the MCE main settings menu. 

MB3 server and client running on same HTPC (Win7Pro, i3).  Found an external player selection on the MB Browser/WebClient tab but shows only "Vlc" as a selection. 

I've been through all the guides but the client guide is apparently not updated for latest version as it shows the old screens for enabling an external client.

1. Is there a way with native MB3 to get MKV subtitles to display?

2. If not, how do I get MB3 to use MPC-HC as an external player? (I assume this would get me back to my prior subtitle capability).

I LOVE the new MB3 interface and capabilities... vast improvement!! Great work!! :D   Got to have subtitles though else, for us, it is useless. :(

politby

The only way I can get MKV subtitles to work reliably is with Media Browser Classic using MPC - HC as an external player.

The Android and windows 8.1 apps both struggle so much with subtitles that they are really useless if you need subtitles. I haven't used the web client for a while so I cannot say it works better.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

AdrianW

It sounds like you already have Media Center on your HTPC - so I'd suggest installing Media Browser Classic (MBC) - this is the direct replacement for MB2. I'm using MBC with MPC-HC as an external player, and subs work perfectly, I also have the server (MBS) running on the same PC, just like you.

There's been a few threads about problems with subtitles and Media Browser Theatre (MBT). And MBT still has quite a way to catch up to MBC's feature set. You'll be more than happy using MBC (it's so much better than MB2 was).

GizmoGuy

Thanks...

I have installed MBC (have not downloaded MBT) but cannot see on the MBC config where I can designate that MPC-HC be used as the player.

Thanks...

I have installed MBC (have not downloaded MBT) but cannot see on the MBC config where I can designate that MPC-HC be used as the player.

Good day,

From the start menu, look to media browser and in that, start the:

Media Browser Clasic Configurator.

Then click on the menu "external player" and click on "Add" then add the external players you want.

My best

I'm sorry to hijack you post. Also MB Newbie on the latest versions

Looked at many post to get an idea about how the subtitles gets to the clients.
I also have MKV with subtitles in them - cant make them Work in any client

Some post claim they are burned in the stream from the MB server before they hit the client.

Other posts talks about LAV and XY filters/codecs to get them playing on the clients.

So is there a difference in how they arrive at the client?

Phone8?

SurfaceRT?

Web client?

MBT?

MBC?

External player?

XBMC (Not tested yet)?
EDIT: I have testet XBMC - and only the setting with Network: 100MB (Direct HTTP) subtitles Work.
Does subtitles not Work by design when transcoding?
I guess
the webclient always transcode, and thats why subtitles dont Work?

Hope some one can give the details on what to expect.

Burned in from server side will suite me just fine.

I have observed that from the web client the subtitle can be chosen, but it stills has a mark in Off, after I pick the subtitle

On the CC icon it says unknown.

548b7c7c68762_1.png548b7c920da3a_2.png

Edited by Blob

I'm sorry to hijack you post. Also MB Newbie on the latest versions

Looked at many post to get an idea about how the subtitles gets to the clients.

I also have MKV with subtitles in them - cant make them Work in any client

Some post claim they are burned in the stream from the MB server before they hit the client.

Other posts talks about LAV and XY filters/codecs to get them playing on the clients.

So is there a difference in how they arrive at the client?

Phone8?

SurfaceRT?

Web client?

MBT?

MBC?

External player?

XBMC (Not tested yet)?

EDIT: I have testet XBMC - and only the setting with Network: 100MB (Direct HTTP) subtitles Work.

Does subtitles not Work by design when transcoding?

I guess the webclient always transcode, and thats why subtitles dont Work?

Hope some one can give the details on what to expect.

Burned in from server side will suite me just fine.

I have observed that from the web client the subtitle can be chosen, but it stills has a mark in Off, after I pick the subtitle

On the CC icon it says unknown.

548b7c7c68762_1.png548b7c920da3a_2.png

Any one?

GizmoGuy

Good day,

From the start menu, look to media browser and in that, start the:

Media Browser Clasic Configurator.

Then click on the menu "external player" and click on "Add" then add the external players you want.

My best

Thanks!  Hadn't looked under MB on the start menu (duh).  All set with MPC-HC and dandy subtitles. :D

• Like 1