Video Card Advice

DGMayor

DGMayor

So I'm quite out of the loop on video cards these days.   My HTPC currently has an NVidia 470 GTX, and I'm pretty sure it's finally dying.  I rebooted tonight after windows updates and the screen had all kinds of characters and lines on it, and when it hit Windows it gave me a BSOD.  I powered off, and back on and now I'm fine, but it's definitely a sign of things to come.

I haven't been keeping track of hardware trends since my kids were born really (for obvious reasons - $$).   So I'm wondering what would be a good card that is an upgrade to what I have, that I can do some gaming on if I wanted...

PC is a Core i5 2500k with 8gb of RAM.

shaefurr

Just depends on how much you want to spend, any newer card from the 600 series or up will be better than what you have now. The nvidia 660 is a nice little card for around $150 and should handle almost everything on high settings / 60 FPS. I'd probably recommend that card to anyone who isn't a serious gamer but wants games to run well. If you want to step that up you could go with something like a 760 or 770 for $230-$300. Or you could go further and get a 900 series for $300+.

DGMayor

I was looking at the 760, but didn't really want to drop that much money right now.   I used to be a huge PC gamer, but I've pretty much stayed strictly with consoles for a while just due to ease of use..   I'd like to be able to run a game or two here and there though, so I don't want to skimp on that..   The ex-pc gamer in me wants the better card, the father of two who no longer has much free time is leaning towards the 660 ;)

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphics-02G-P4-2662-KR/dp/B00966IREK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418409193&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Nivida+660

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HXY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1S8YQPHPN3AY&coliid=I3PJPCEP2BO874&psc=1

The 760 is cheaper than the 660...

Edited by DGMayor

shaefurr

Well it all depends on the brand and model (pre OC'd etc.), you can still find some 660s cheaper like this one. Personally I still use a single 560 Ti and I can still run most games on High, though its at a point where I really need to upgrade it for any upcoming games.

I'm waiting for the 960's to come out before I upgrade again.