[Music] Use original release date from musicbrainz

steve1977

steve1977

Let me share an example. I have the album "ABBA - The Album", which was originally released at 1977-12-12. This is the original release date and is an information, which is available through the Musicbrainz API. Unfortunately, MBS states the release date to be 2001-07-26. I did not find out where this release date comes from.

My suggestion is pull the "Original release date" from musicbrainz (not the "release date", but the "original release date"). The information is available form the API.

Below the information from wikipedia. My suggestion is even to pull the 1977 data for those who  bought the CD version as it will otherwise be very confusing if you list by year (and a very old re-mastered album may show as the latest and greatest). Would also be best when creating playlists (eg, best-of-2001 would not include Abba ;-)

ABBA: The Album is the fifth studio album by the Swedish pop group ABBA. It was released in Scandinavia on 12 December 1977 through Polar Music, (...)
(...)
ABBA: The Album was first released on CD in 1984. The album has been reissued in digitally remastered form by PolyGram/Universal Music four times; first in 1997, then in 2001, in 2005 as part of The Complete Studio Recordings box set and again in 2007 as a two disc 'Deluxe Edition'.

It's from last fm. i would like to eliminate last fm and get all data through MBZ but they start rejecting requests once you hit their limits, which are very easy to hit.

steve1977

Got it. I remember that headphones has the same issue and got around by setting up a muscbrainz mirror. Maybe some other thoughts:

* Limit Musicbrainz ot the super-critical information such album name as well as original release date and year

* Pull overview and all pictures from audiodb.com and last.fm

* Not sure what else is being pulled?

What do you think?

*** edit *** all of my albums have an MBID in the MP3tag, but some don't show it in MBS. Is this related to musicbrainz being down? If so, why would it not be possible to just "trust" my tag for the musicbrainz ID tag?

it is possible for us to use the value in the tag, however since it's something being used by a tiny number of people it's just not a high priority.

steve1977

it is possible for us to use the value in the tag, however since it's something being used by a tiny number of people it's just not a high priority.

Agree and makes sense. I wouldn't be too sure that it is a tiny number of people though. Picard may be used by many people and it is adding the MBID. People may not know, but they have it in their tags. And adding it from the tag is gold for those as it would make sure that they 100% have the right match when adding to MBS. They went through the painful matching process once when tagging their files (which I assume most people do, while not all of them using Picard).

With this information, it would also dramatically reduce the load from musicbrainz. It would allow to only query a very few selected information applying the existing MBID.

Anyhow, the much more critical question (and feature request) is to find some way to use the original release date and year. Otherwise, my best-of-2001 mix will be Abba ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add a 2nd vote for this. Almost every album has multiple release dates, and it would be nice to pull the earliest one. I like to sort my albums by artist/year, and many are coming up with 0 as a date, or a date other than original. As an option, my tags all have the correct year, so perhaps that could be used as an option. Other than this one small problem, the tool is fantastic! Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

steve1977

This is a great idea and would also take off load from MBZ servers. Basically, this would mean:

1) Take all non-poster information from the MP3 first (by default) and only if non-existant, query other sources

2) Take poster from other sources first (to have highest quality) and take from MP3 tage if unavailable

Luke, thoughts?

• 8 years later...
adamstewiegreen

Is it possible to look at this OP suggestion again?  Using the original release date makes more sense (to me).

11 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Is it possible to look at this OP suggestion again?  Using the original release date makes more sense (to me).

Hi, how is the value tagged in your audio files?

adamstewiegreen

It's tagged as 'Original Release Date' (year-month) and 'Original Year' (year).  They're all tagged with MusicBrainz Picard.

• Thanks 1