I want to build an arcade cabinet :P

shaefurr

shaefurr

Does anyone else want to do this? I mean if you already have all the emulators and games setup for MB, its not really any different to set it up for a cabinet, Heck you can have it run MB unless you want something totally arcadish like hyperspin. But how hard can this be? its basically just a PC in a box with an arcade joystick and buttons. I dunno this just seems like a really fun project to do sometime.

Yeah, I'm sure it is doable.  Would be cool.

I have a real stand-up Asteroids machine that is still functional.  I used to have Defender as well but had to give that one up.

Those were the two relics of my misspent youth.  I could play either one of those indefinitely on a single quarter back in the day...

• Like 2

Chris Jones

Look up "tested arcade cabinet" on youtube and there's several videos of them going through making one, i don't think the series has finished yet.

shaefurr

Yeah, I'm sure it is doable.  Would be cool.

I have a real stand-up Asteroids machine that is still functional.  I used to have Defender as well but had to give that one up.

Those were the two relics of my misspent youth.  I could play either one of those indefinitely on a single quarter back in the day...

I lived on Killer Instinct at the roller-rink when I was a kid, just something fun about having an actual arcade machine to stand there and play on. MY wifes xmas party for work this year is at a place called Dave and Busters which is a bar/arcade, ill be happy :)

shaefurr

Look up "tested arcade cabinet" on youtube and there's several videos of them going through making one, i don't think the series has finished yet.

Thanks ill look into those, It wont be happening for me until I move into a new house and I upgrade my kids HTPC, ill be reusing their old one for the arcade. Plus it looks like the arcade controls can get a bit pricey

techywarrior

Very nice yaksplat!

I used to have a Street Fighter II arcade machine. Had to give it up when I moved to NYC and a little apartment tho. That was a very long time ago now, haha.

Edited by techywarrior

yaksplat

Big one was about $2500 in parts.  That's including me building the cabinet from scratch.  At the time I was cutting control panels for people with matching Plexiglas tops.  It was good practice before I made my own and it completely defrayed the cost.  I built two other similar machines for friends of mine.  The whole idea was that they would be my guinea pigs, but labor would be free.  Their machines were about $2000-$2200 each in parts.