Random films not playing

wolf359

I have 2 servers on 2 separate machines and as of yesterday certain films do not play I keep getting an Error on the screen.

They will play if I run them through Windows media player and at first I thought it was only MP4 but there does not seem to be a pattern to it as some mp4 will play. It is happening on both servers and on MBT and WMC  

Both machines are running 3.0.5445.6

I am not sure where I will find any logs for this if any at all?

Has anyone else had this happen of late ?

Edit MKV files are not playing either AVI files are fine 

Edited by wolf359

I seem to have fixed the problem. I deleted the childrens movie library and then renamed it as kids movies and that looks like it has sorted out the issue of certain films not playing. All very strange but there you go in case anyone else comes across this issue  

Well update number 2 I thought I had cured the problem. 

One computer is now running fine my the computer I want to use as my main HTPC still wont play certain MP4 files. I did the same or at least I think i have as I did with the first computer which is now working, but still wont play.

I have deleted the server and all data plus mbt and reinstalled them also installed lav splitter as the MB Classic was saying a codec was missing but again nothing.

Short of wiping the hard drive and starting again I am at a loss why this has happened all was fine until a couple of days ago then both acted up so i guess it was something to do with a server release perhaps?

Any ideas anyone ??

When you encounter a file that won't play, go to the web client and refresh it and see if it gets valid media info.  Perhaps the probe on it failed which would make it not be able to stream.