buffering issues

thelangs

thelangs

Not sure if this is a server problem or a client/Roku issue.

I have a working MB3 server on a local computer. When I run the MBC on this computer everything works perfectly. I added the Media Browser channel to my roku. The main menu's etc show up fine and seem to work. However when I select a movie, I constantly get a "buffering" wait message. The movie displays for around 10 seconds (if that), and stops to "buffer".  I tried other movies and the same thing. I tried changing the "video quality" option, that didn't help.

I installed the Media browser theater on another computer and again connection, menu, etc fine, but the movies stutter constantly ..

I have a gigabyte local network and have NO problems watching the movies from another computer on the network, just using a network share to the movie folder and using MPC-HC.

The movies are all .MKV containers of ripped Blu-ray disks, hence the files are large.

Is this a server problem?

Thanks

When you playback with something like the Roku, it is forced to transcode the video into a format that the machine can play.  So you can't compare this to direct file playback with something like MPC (or even our other HTPC apps).

Looking at your transcode log, your machine is simply not able to transcode the video fast enough to deliver it to you smoothly.  You can try adjusting the settings on the Roku to get it to play better.

MKV is just a container.  Its what's inside them that matters most.  Plus other factors such as the type of audio and subtitles, etc.

I believe h.264 with aac audio is the most compatible and least likely to require transcoding.

• Like 1