limit user acess by Genre category

e123enitan

e123enitan

I am seek to limit my children viewing to Animation and Family movies, currently I created separate folder for this purpose, but this approach seems very tedious, time consuming where a movies does not fit for their age, hence copy and paste to diff folder is not for me. One might say why don’t you use parental function for this purpose, this approach has drawn back I have tried.

I thought the best option is ensuring my movies collections are rightly classed under Genre, then based on user needs I can tailor users access to their request or as I see fit.

For instance
My wife: Family, Biography and comedy, Romance
Children: Animation and family
Guess: Action and Horror etc

Server does the above automatically with manual intervention if feel the system class is incorrect.

Another benefits from client side (android box, tables & phone), it quickening search instead of running through over 2000 list of movies which does takes time even on a fast system.

Thanks.

Thanks

What is the drawback of the current parental controls?  This is what it is designed for - to only show appropriate content.

e123enitan

My children are of diff age group, kind of hard to explain my challenges, but will is it possible to set user profile based on the Genre grouping? Instead of limiting by parental controls

Thanks

No, it isn't currently possible to do exactly what you are asking but I still don't understand why the different age groups would be a problem.  I have a 12 and 16 year old.  They both have a user and each one is set to a different max parental level.

e123enitan

I shall response with my issue later, in the meantime I have thought of a walk around solution, this is to creating user Menu in Titan skins tailored to user specific needs, children  Android box will have a custom menu Animation and Family, that I think should should resolved the childrent issue I hope, I will give it go when I get home.  

Any chance of including this feature in the future builds?

Thanks for your kind response

Edited by e123enitan

e123enitan

No issue with parental scale, but what we discovered was even where some movies are rated as suitable for children my wife considered them inappropriate. So I concluded devise diff approach for the children box:
In Titan menu I created Animation & Family (missing rotation), then in the server manipulate meta data,

by changing the Genre's class either move it to Action or some other group, hence it won't be available to the children.

So whenever wife wish the children to watch specific movies I just change the criteria on sever to either animation or family, and its available for kids,this works fine :D . 

But I strongly believe, if the server incorporate a function/control that limit user to specific or group of  Genre's class, this would be beneficiary to someone like me who's clients’ needs varies,

therefore I don’t have to create separate folder for each class of movies then grant access based on this.

Equally on the front end ( client) if skin developers can incorporate the ability to configure and display by Genres would be nice, although Titan have such (credit/due respect to Marcel great Skin, the best so far for me ), but missing menu rotation.

I hope my thought make sense. ;)

Edited by e123enitan

Beardyname

You know you can add a custom rating to a movie and that will "trump" the one that the movie industry sets right? :)

Just pointing it out if you did not realise there was such an option, you can also add custom "tags" that should enabe you to block every item for that user marked with this tag.

Both thoose two options should solve what you are looking for.

Edited by Beardyname
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
StenchMaster

I would also like to see this option included.

I currently use the parental rating system which works well for the most part. However my children are at the age where they seem to fit in between ratings.

Example: PG-13/T allows access to movies such as Aliens and TV such as Constantine. Whereas PG/TV-PG blocks access to movies like Captain America and Transformers.

This is due to the way the rating system is designed. The big problem is with "Stylised Violence" pushing content into a higher rating (note: this is my personal opinion).

I understand that you can "override" the rating system by adding custom tags, etc. However, with a large movie/TV collection this can be quite laborious and you have to keep checking user accounts when new content is added.

Being able to block specific genres such as "Horror" or "Thriller" for example, would be far simpler in my situation.

Deathsquirrel

You have two options as I don't personally expect this to be added as a feature given that it's pretty easily addressed in the existing framework:

1) Create two libraries.  Put kid-viewable movies in one, adult in the other.  You could do even more if there are more kids at different ages.  Give each kid a username with access to the appropriate libraries.  Parental control by movie rating is then not needed.  I used to do this; maintaining it irritated the crap out of me but your mileage may vary.

2) Use parental controls and just add a custom rating where needed.  There aren't likely going to be THAT many cases where the MPAA rating disagrees with your preferred family settings and you only have to do it once.  From then on it's a 5 second chore when adding a small percentage of movies to your collection.  Use the reports function, sort by rating, and skim through the ones that are iffy and fix as needed.

StenchMaster

Thanks for the reply. I currently do option 2, and it's not that big a deal. Plus I'm not to concerned as the kids a pretty good at only watching suitable content as they know it'll scare the crap out of them. If they really wanted to watch something, then they could just sign in as me (no password).

I was just saying that it would be a helpful inclusion.

I should also say that I think Media Browser is Awesome (note the Capital A), and I really appreciate the effort everyone puts into it. Thanks.

tired dad

Why not use a custom tag?  Then it does'nt matter what the rating is, if the movie is tagged with "not for kids" (for example), then it won't show up in their library profile.

• Like 1