Out of Memory exception

Angelblue05

saitoh183

Cover art will definitely impact memory usage because it has to manipulate high resolution images in memory.

but to the extent of causing the error and needing a 4gb patch?

Yes because the total amount of system memory doesn't matter once it's beyond a certain point. There are limits to the amount of memory a process can hold on an x86 system and it's a much smaller number. there are also other internal limits.

Cover art will definitely impact memory usage because it has to manipulate high resolution images in memory.

2014-12-23 09:35:54.4626 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5469.23996
	Command line: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 2
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Out of memory.
	System.OutOfMemoryException
	   at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
	   at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.<ProcessImage>d__6.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.<GetImageResult>d__f.MoveNext()

Indeed. Can confirm I am seeing same issue. Just wanted to chime in. First time I've experienced this. The roku just stops responding, crashes back to the roku menu and mediabrowser service won't connect. The mediabrowser process remains though running. It has to manually be killed and restarted and I get roku love again. ;)

saitoh183

Yes because the total amount of system memory doesn't matter once it's beyond a certain point. There are limits to the amount of memory a process can hold on an x86 system and it's a much smaller number. there are also other internal limits.

Yes i know that x86 has a limit and once its hit, your app goes boom basically :). When i started using mbs with cover art i wasnt seeing theses problems. Im guessing as my library grew, MBS with cover art cant handle large libraries. Removing Cover art, MBS is back down under 400mb. It's a shame since Cover art give the library flare :(.

2014-12-23 09:35:54.4626 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5469.23996
	Command line: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 2
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\speechles\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Out of memory.
	System.OutOfMemoryException
	   at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
	   at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.<ProcessImage>d__6.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.<GetImageResult>d__f.MoveNext()

Indeed. Can confirm I am seeing same issue. Just wanted to chime in. First time I've experienced this. The roku just stops responding, crashes back to the roku menu and mediabrowser service won't connect. The mediabrowser process remains though running. It has to manually be killed and restarted and I get roku love again. ;)

Do you have a big library as well?

Edited by saitoh183

Do you have a big library as well?

I don't consider it big. It's only 4,000 movies, 35,000 tv episodes of 756 tv-shows, maybe 12,000 mp3's and other random nonsense I collect. I have several friends who topple my meager collection, but they all choose plex for no reason other than being sheep, being led. But...if it is an upper limit we are experiencing in Mediabrowser what can be done about it by the development team to remedy the problem? As each users library grows in size, hard-drive capacity increases and prices drop, the amount of users witness this error will increase. At what point should alarms raise?

Edit: cover art is what makes Mediabrowser look good. Sacrifice shouldn't be an option. Unless its the only option. Surrender using cover art or suffer out of memory errors. To be or not to be, that is the question.

Edited by speechles

xnappo

I still think there is something else going on.  My collection size hasn't changed, and I never saw MB3 go about 300mb previously.  In the last month or so it is often ~800mb.

saitoh183

I don't consider it big. It's only 4,000 movies, 35,000 tv episodes of 756 tv-shows, maybe 12,000 mp3's and other random nonsense I collect. I have several friends who topple my meager collection, but they all choose plex for no reason other than being sheep, being led. But...if it is an upper limit we are experiencing in Mediabrowser what can be done about it by the development team to remedy the problem? As each users library grows in size, hard-drive capacity increases and prices drop, the amount of users witness this error will increase. At what point should alarms raise?

Edit: cover art is what makes Mediabrowser look good. Sacrifice shouldn't be an option. Unless its the only option. Surrender using cover art or suffer out of memory errors. To be or not to be, that is the question.

LOL..you have me beat by 15 000 eps and 3200 movies and ... but that is large compared to a lot of folks...Mine also was considered large collection. For now, i can confirm that the 4GB patch will allow the use of Cover art without getting the out of mem error (not always but better stability then without the patch)

you guys are in luck regarding cover art because in order to support the server on  nas devices, we have to redo our image processing anyway. That will include cover art although it will take time.

https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/issues/1346

Good to know

I still think there is something else going on.  My collection size hasn't changed, and I never saw MB3 go about 300mb previously.  In the last month or so it is often ~800mb.

Maybe but for now all roads point to Cover art :) and without it my MB3 is at 359mb compared to 800+ with it

xnappo

Yeah, I just disabled it - I will monitor it.  We did add a bunch more resolutions to the Kodi client recently - that could explain it.

listItem.setArt({'poster':db.get(id + ".poster")})
        listItem.setArt({'tvshow.poster':db.get(id + ".tvshow.poster")})
        listItem.setArt({'clearlogo':db.get(id + ".Logo")})
        listItem.setArt({'discart':db.get(id + ".Disc")})
        listItem.setArt({'banner':db.get(id + ".Banner")})
        listItem.setArt({'clearart':db.get(id + ".Art")})
        listItem.setArt({'landscape':db.get(id + ".Thumb")})

listItem.setProperty('fanart_image', db.get(id + ".Backdrop"))
        listItem.setProperty('small_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary2"))
        listItem.setProperty('tiny_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary4"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary3"))
        listItem.setProperty('small_fanartimage', db.get(id + ".Backdrop2"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_fanartimage', db.get(id + ".Backdrop3"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_landscape', db.get(id + ".Thumb3"))
        listItem.setProperty('fanart_noindicators', db.get(id + ".BackdropNoIndicators"))
Edited by xnappo

saitoh183

Yeah, I just disabled it - I will monitor it.  We did add a bunch more resolutions to the Kodi client recently - that could explain it.

listItem.setArt({'poster':db.get(id + ".poster")})
        listItem.setArt({'tvshow.poster':db.get(id + ".tvshow.poster")})
        listItem.setArt({'clearlogo':db.get(id + ".Logo")})
        listItem.setArt({'discart':db.get(id + ".Disc")})
        listItem.setArt({'banner':db.get(id + ".Banner")})
        listItem.setArt({'clearart':db.get(id + ".Art")})
        listItem.setArt({'landscape':db.get(id + ".Thumb")})

listItem.setProperty('fanart_image', db.get(id + ".Backdrop"))
        listItem.setProperty('small_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary2"))
        listItem.setProperty('tiny_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary4"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_poster', db.get(id + ".Primary3"))
        listItem.setProperty('small_fanartimage', db.get(id + ".Backdrop2"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_fanartimage', db.get(id + ".Backdrop3"))
        listItem.setProperty('medium_landscape', db.get(id + ".Thumb3"))
        listItem.setProperty('fanart_noindicators', db.get(id + ".BackdropNoIndicators"))

Maybe..keep us posted :)

@@Luke

out of curiosity is there a reason why MB3 isnt a 64bit application? 

Edited by saitoh183

the linux and osx versions can run both x86/x64. for windows some of the libraries we depend on either only run x86 or run better under x86.

saitoh183

the linux and osx versions can run both x86/x64. for windows some of the libraries we depend on either only run x86 or run better under x86.

@@Luke

So are you saying if i had a linux box with MBS, this issue would not have happened?

Edited by saitoh183

Happy2Play

There has to be other factors involved here.  With a library the same size as Speechles, with CA installed MBS uses about 550mb and without CA 400mb.

I have two different servers (1 intel and 1 amd)  that consume about the same amount of memory, but one server has half the amount of media on it. 

saitoh183

There has to be other factors involved here.  With a library the same size as Speechles, with CA installed MBS uses about 550mb and without CA 400mb.

I have two different servers (1 intel and 1 amd)  that consume about the same amount of memory, but one server has half the amount of media on it. 

Well i dont think its cover art anymore. Its not installed and the MBS process is over 1gb

Yeah, I don't think CA is causing this problem per se, but it does affect it just because it consumes a fair amount of memory.  So, if your system is running on the edge, the existence of CA could push it over.

• 2 months later...
Jambercob

I see this thread has not had a post in a few months but I wanted to chime in on the Out of Memory errors since we see this on an almost daily basis. We always run the latest beta on the server but this issue has been around since last year. As the library grows it seems to get worse and we do not want to disable the Cover Art plugin. I was going to move the server from Windows 8.1 to CentOS but there's some issues with it seeing all my drives.

My question here is, what can I do? I am willing to help do whatever the devs need in order to determine what causes this issue so we can find a proper fix.

The server is running on the following (to help rule out hardware)

Windows 8.1 Pro

AMD FX8320

16GB DDR3 memory

240GB HyperX 3k SSD (running on onboard controller)

All large storage drives are running on an Intel RS2BL080 RAID card

Video card is a Radeon HD 6750 1GB

This box literally only runs 2 things constantly -- MBS and IIS for our website

TolkienBard

I see this thread has not had a post in a few months but I wanted to chime in on the Out of Memory errors since we see this on an almost daily basis. We always run the latest beta on the server but this issue has been around since last year. As the library grows it seems to get worse and we do not want to disable the Cover Art plugin. I was going to move the server from Windows 8.1 to CentOS but there's some issues with it seeing all my drives.

My question here is, what can I do? I am willing to help do whatever the devs need in order to determine what causes this issue so we can find a proper fix.

The server is running on the following (to help rule out hardware)

Windows 8.1 Pro

AMD FX8320

16GB DDR3 memory

240GB HyperX 3k SSD (running on onboard controller)

All large storage drives are running on an Intel RS2BL080 RAID card

Video card is a Radeon HD 6750 1GB

This box literally only runs 2 things constantly -- MBS and IIS for our website

The only thing on m MBS machine is MBS, and I am still having this issue as well. I finally had to simpl turn off the scheduled Cover Art updates and now have it set to only run on server start-up. Ever since making that change, the errors are far less frequent.

we're reworking our image processing entirely, so when that's complete it will be a non issue.

• Like 1

saitoh183

we're reworking our image processing entirely, so when that's complete it will be a non issue.

So we can start using cover art again with large libraries? I miss it :D

Jambercob

I did read that Luke. Just wasn't sure if that was a proper put it to bed post or not. Thanks for the clarification and if there's anything I can do to help you guys out let me know. Until then we will just patiently wait for you guys to finish up.