Access MediaBrowser via Hostname

Kincaid

bertbert72

Could you try

nslookup 192.168.2.104

and let me see the output?  I'm not well up on MAC networking but this should at least give some clue as to whether it is going to be possible to use a DNS name.

bertbert72

Ok, options are narrowing here. Either reverse lookup isn't on the router, or IOS is not liking the DNS service.  In any case, since a Windows box is working fine, it's looking like it is a problem on the IOS side.

Just for jollies, could you try

nslookup google.com

and ensure that actually works?  I'm sure it will, but just in case...  Also, can you check what DNS server you are using from the IOS machine (cat /etc/resolv.conf)?  It could be that it is using something like 8.8.8.8 rather than the router's DNS.

Angelblue05

Here's an interesting post that explains why you can't use the PC name on your iPhone: http://serverfault.com/questions/53576/windows-computer-name-ip-resolution-on-iphone

In short, it seems the PC name is a Windows-only protocol. Since it's Apple, this protocol was never included (and will probably never be). The only way around is to setup a ddns, like no-ip.com(it's free if you are not picky about your domain name). A bit of research should let you know how to set it up so it points toward your internal network. You can then use your friendly ddns url in your iPhone to reach your Media Browser server. Hope this helps!  :)

I am already using no-ip, but this only works from outside the LAN but they have to be in my wifi to send the video to chromecast.

I guess they just have to enter the ip then. Anyways, thanks for your help. :)

• Like 1