next up - displaying content from folders not included

techywarrior

techywarrior

I have some media folders selected to not be part of the Movie/TV views as well as not being a part of the recently added views but they show in Next Up in the TV view (even tho the shows aren't part of the TV view)

I don't think those two are designed to be related.  I think Next Up just looks for all TV series.

techywarrior

Well that's a major issue if I'm telling folder X to not be part of the TV view and then you go to the TV view and it shows content from that folder in Next Up in the TV view!

If I tell the folder not to be part of TV then it's content shouldn't be included in any function within the TV view.

Perhaps, in that context but the Next Up function is often used in clients outside of any view.  We'll see how Luke feels about it.

it respects the settings, but once in a while you can navigate a certain sequence and the context is not retained, and thus, the top folder id isn't passed in

techywarrior

Luke, since the setting is server side and I am assuming that the API call is just made to get "next up" I don't think talking to the client devs would have any effect.

Here are two places I noticed it (as an example). There is nothing complex about the sequences so I don't think this is some edge case.

Example 1 - WinPhone app, go to TV view, main list is Next Up (displays content from folder not included in TV view)

Example 2 - MBC (Square theme), go to TV view, there is an option to display Next Up in a list just to the right (displays content from folder not included in TV view)

Or is this an error at the client level and I can address this to those clients?

Ok, I thought you were talking about the web client. neither of those apps are have implemented user views yet so at the moment they are unable to respect the settings in your user profile

techywarrior

ok, sorry about that Luke. I thought it was a more general problem since it happened in two different clients.

EDIT: Actually, do the clients even need to worry about the preference? They are making a call to the API and the user is set. Shouldn't the server only pass back content that are in the TV view? Or does the client need to specify in the API that the "next up" call is for the specific view?

Hopefully that's coming to those clients soon as one of the issue MB still has as an ecosystem is that there is little consistency between all the clients. It's probably due to the rapid pace MBS is still evolving and clients are trying to implement the big items in each update and not all the other things.

Perhaps after mobile sync there can be more of a optimization/catch-up period in MBS so that clients can catch up with all the features and more time can be spent on the different OS issues and things like that (just a thought).

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

The client would have to request a limit to a specific parent and, in the case of MBC, we don't show the library in the same manner as the newer clients.  We don't present the same "Views" they do because most of the user base of MBC has been around for a while and is used to the media folder setup.

If MBC continues to live on strong (it appears it will) I will eventually get the user views in there at least as an option.

BTW - the function you are talking about is unique to Square anyway.  MBC doesn't have a native Next Up TV interface.

techywarrior

Thanks ebr, I'll make a request with ST to update that call in Square since it's inside the "TV View" so it should probably be limited to the TV View ID.

I suspect he is creating his own TV view and doesn't actually have the proper Id to use in the call but maybe he can figure something out.

techywarrior

To get the correct view Id should just be a single additional API call on load right? So hopefully that change can be made and the settings can be respected. I added a request to the Square theme thread and the WinPhone thread to see if ST and Scott can implement.