Freeze after episode watched

BorgSquared

BorgSquared

I have been having a problem with Media Browser Classic on Xbox 360 extenders. After watching an episode and going back to the show list the interface freezes. The MCE button does not work and requires restarting the Xbox or going to the Xbox home screen and re-launching MCX.

This happens every time an episode is watched. This leads to continuous rebooting of the Xbox after every episode and is very aggravating.

Attached is a photo taken of the frozen screen and the media browser classic log for one such instance. The Windows event log did not show anything of interest other than the session being established and abruptly disconnecting.

This issue seems to have started two MBC updates ago.

Edit: For some reason the photo was rotated after uploading by the forum software and renders upside down.

post-77-0-14368900-1417821188_thumb.jpg

MBClassic-412201494c7ebf2ba354d42afbad19586d95ede.log

Edited by BorgSquared

I think this is just an old issue with the 360 and high network traffic.  It is possible a different theme will help.  You are using a very old theme that has never really been updated for MB 3.  You might try Chocolate and see if it behaves any differently.

BorgSquared

I had the same issue with the Neo theme and backdrops are disabled. I will try Chocolate tonight and see if it works.

Edit: Chocolate theme didn't make a difference. As always backdrop is turned off in settings. I don't think bandwidth is the issue per say. Extender is connected via Ethernet not wireless. I have full bars in the network tuner so it is a good connection. This issue only started two MBC updates ago. I am not sure if this matters but in use the old player and have the new disabled. I mostly use the old due to overscan issues.

Edited by BorgSquared

Your network connection can be fine and the 360 will still choke on certain things.  This problem has been reported intermittently for years.  I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you.  

I notice you are trying to play an mkv file.  The 360 also has a long history of not working well with that container.

BorgSquared

That would make sense if it were not a sudden change in performance. It has been working fine for months and then this issue. Are you certain it is not a bug in the media center plugin?

I've been looking to replace the extender in the media room for a while. Any idea if media browser will be coming to xbox one? I thought about getting a roku but the client looked plain. The 360 is for my parents (they only use MCX - simplicity is best and a htpc is not simple).

I don't think anyone has had reliable performance with mkvs on a 360, ever.  Sometimes maybe they work but mostly they have problems.  Another 360 user may know more about it though as I'm just going from what I've seen reported over the years.

Quick test would be if it still happens when you play it back on the host machine.

BorgSquared

It works fine on the host machine. I didn't know if there was extender specific code that could be causing the issue. However, what you are saying makes sense. I decided to try using an old laptop, set it up as an HTPC and buy an IR dongle.

• 4 weeks later...

This is usually a codec problem or an incompatible file that the 360 force plays but then gets stuck when trying to release the file and its usually always related to incompatible sound types in the file. My avi with xvid video and mp3 sound and my mp4 with h264 video and 2ch aac sound dont cause this to happen to me its only after playing something with 5.1 that I usually notice this. Also mkvs containing anything besides the audio and sound will cause this to happen as well, so tags, chapters, subtitles need removed.

I use LAV Filters.

Edited by BAS
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BorgSquared

Well, I had a scheduled task that removed chapters, subs, and fixed issues with header stripping. So it was not a codec issue. Anyway, I bought a roku 3 to replace the extender. The roku app is underdeveloped but works far better with mkvs.