Artwork Names and Format Different

quindarious
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

quindarious

I searched but couldn't find an answer to this.

I recently performed a clean windows install and MB Server install. I have always had artwork and metadata saved in the media folders and historically they have generated names such as Folder.jpg and Backdrop.jpg.

My new install of server creates the artwork correctly in the media folders but it now has a different naming convention such as Poster.jpg and Landscape.jpg.

Don't get me wrong it still displays correctly in MBC when I view it, it's just that my mental health needs for everything to be the same are struggling with this :D

Cheers!

MrFlibbles

Any chance we can get a list of the image and metadata changes? I've looked through server release notifications and the wiki but can't see anything about it.

What are the new defaults for images and metadata? I see "legacy mediabrowser xml" and "nfo" listed as metadata savers now, if I don't check either, does it use a non-legacy mediabrowser xml or is that now nfo? How does movie.xml and movie-name.720p.xml fit in to this? Why are zip files now getting their own xml files and showing as media?

Looks to be a lot of changes in the last server releases and I'm sure they are all for good reasons. I'd like to sort out my collection and move to the new formats for future compatibilty but I just don't known what is what anymore.

I normally follow the forums a few times a week but have been out of the loop for a couple of months and don't know where to find this info.

It's been a very gradual process. The thing to remember is that all existing files you have are fully compatible, and your settings are still as they were. the changes are only applicable to people who install fresh. So my advice is to leave things as they are and everything will gradually switch over.

techywarrior

Luke, as the .nfo and new naming conventions for posters etc. has become the norm is it possible to add a one time "cleanup" so we don't have all the old and new files? I don't know if the old method is still required due to third party meta data fetchers being used so this may have to be an option (or something that runs the first time you switch to "kodi" style meta data)

I know it doesn't effect anything but if the files aren't being used then there is no point in having 1000+ useless files in my media folders.

there is no cleanup needed because the files are used. it is only if you wanted to switch that you would need such a thing.

quindarious

I can learn to live with two sets of naming conventions in my library but is there any way to go back to having the episode thumbs saved in the \metadata\ folder rather than in the same folder as the media?

It just seems messy this way.

techywarrior

there is no cleanup needed because the files are used. it is only if you wanted to switch that you would need such a thing.

That sort of relates to the first part of my question. If there is no need (other then backward compatibility with earlier releases) wouldn't it reduce complexity and overhead to just convert everyone to the new method and cleanup the old?

I just wasn't sure if other tools that people use for meta data would not work with the .nfo format (highly unlikely given that the reason you said you made the switch was to be more compatible with other programs)

No, it isn't. The vast majority of people don't like their settings or their files being messed with. It is much easier to tell a new person what the new default settings are. That's why it's only for new installs. And even if an existing user re-installs, their existing files remain fully supported. It is much safer this way than attempting to perform some risky migration. Don't want any part of that unless it's a separate button they have to choose to click.

techywarrior

haha, ok.

I did notice that both the .nfo and the movie.xml files are being updated in my media collection. Even tho I am using the new method (I didn't really have a choice since I still can't upgrade on unRAID without doing a fresh install and then using the backup/restore plugin to retain settings) the movie.xml files are still updating.

Is it safe to just delete those now? (since I am using the new .nfo files)

MrFlibbles

Thanks for the responses Luke. Like Techy, I'd like to not have old files about the place. I know you say they are still being honored, but is there a list somewhere of the new defaults for images and metadata? I'd like to at least get new files going in with them and then I can move old content towards the defaults for consistency.