MB3 server screwing metadata ?!

berrick
Go to solution Solved by berrick,

berrick

I use MB3 mainly for music and up till recently it has been fantastic even with beta updates enabled I have had few issues which I haven't been able to sort. Until now :(. Current server v3.0.5445.6

• Around the update to v3.0.544.5.5 things started going wrong. I first noticed a couple of wrong images against albums so I manually changed them back to the correct ones
  • The Christmas genre was showing one album with 230 songs which used to show correctly, 10 albums. I manually corrected this but today again it is showing one album and 230 songs :(

Anyone else experiencing this kind of strangeness or have any suggestions as to what to try and fix things perminently? 

swhitmore

Do you have anything else that automatically retrieves music data? Windows is particularly bad at this. WHS actually does it by default and it took me ages to figure out what was going on. If you have WMP looking at your music library, that could also be pulling in metadata.

• Solution
berrick

@@swhitmore thanks for taking time to reply.

Do you have anything else that automatically retrieves music data?

Nope.

Windows is particularly bad at this. WHS actually does it by default and it took me ages to figure out what was going on. If you have WMP looking at your music library, that could also be pulling in metadata.

Yeah I learnt the hard way too. I put a stop to Microsoft's arogance and their not honouring read only attributres a long time ago. All media is on a network share with read only access, accept for admin  :)

I have actually gotten to the bottom of this now. I read a post where someone else was having funny results, unfortunately I can't find it now  :( , turned out this was caused by changes the Dev's made recently to MB server in readiness for future features (I think). As an unexpected consequence of these changes if a folder contains other "unknown" files it results in screwy result like those I have been seeing.

When I checked the folder in question it had a  .m3u file which never use to cause MB a problem. If I remove it and rescan every thing is happy. If I put the file back and rescan  :angry: all messed up. This happens 100% of the time.