AutoOrganize question

gator99

Hello everyone, I have been been using MCE Buddy for years now to rename and move my recorded tv from Windows Media Center into my MB folders and it has been working great, with that said I also have my HTPC setup to not sleep all these years.

So I thought I would try MCE Standby Tool and let my HTPC sleep, but it appears MCE Buddy is causing a problem (see my thread here if interested:  http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8190)

When AutoOrganize was added I never really played with it much other than I couldn't get it to work and I think that is because it doesn't automatically rename files, then move them - is this correct?

I have come to this conclusion(it doesn't auto rename) from this following thread:  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/13206-contribute-to-the-new-file-naming-project/

So with that said Does AutoOrganize (as it stands today) have to have files already properly named before it will work and will it work with *.wtv (recorded tv from WMC)?

Thanks

Olywa123

Auto organise will parse, rename and move the video files, you do have to have the series already in your media folders with at least one season folder but it works very well here for moving (and correctly renaming) recent episodes into their respective folders. I've even used it to parse whole seasons at a time when setting up my collection in order to rename, grab data and send to my media folders.

I found the info on the forum somewhere re setting it up (can't find it now and have very little time) but have a play - it's not difficult to set-up. set up some dummy files/test series/season and You can run the scheduled task for auto-organise to test it out while you are playing until happy with it.

Edited by Olywa123

Thanks, I tried it last night with (don't laugh, my wife's recording) Young and the Restless, and in that particular case the folder structure it should have moved it to was there with the season folder but it didn't work.

with that said, the part I am confused about is how does it know where to move them to, I have two folders setup as "TV" - will it look for those existing folders in both?

Too bad it won't create the folders (series name/seasons) automatically, that is why I have been using MCE buddy as I don't have to worry about creating new series folders, it does that perfectly - with the exception of Dr Who, which it thinks the current season 8 is actually the 8th season in the 60's or whatever it is, but that I fixed by adding the (1995) to it.

Olywa123

I think they use TVDB for parsing so the series should be named exactly as there, I find adding the year does help (so for your example "The Young and the Restless (1973)", once the folder is created and you create a season folder in there you will need to wait (usually just ~30secs) for MB3 to identify it and populate it with at least series metatadata. Did your folder have metadate? Auto Organise parses the new video and looks through your entire TV library (whichever folder(s)) to find a match to the series metadata. 

It will create additional season folders as required for you but there has to be at least one in place already for the series metadata to be fetched automatically. 

Sounds like your current solution is better for you but I suspect they will expand the auto-organise feature as time permits.

Yeah "it's for the wife" you should see my library ;o)

Edited by Olywa123
  • Like 1

Thanks again, I think I'll wait while they work on the new "rename" plugin etc.  Now off to see why MCE buddy keeps waking my HTPC up and throwing errors in my Event Viewer.

As mentioned above, if there is a series folder created for a particular series, then auto-organize will create season folder and fill them as needed.

Sometimes, I have found issues with some of my television which needs to be renamed and sorted not parsed properly by media browser server.

In this case open the "Auto-organize" tab in the server. Here you will probably see the a list of properly parsed episodes (written in green) and improperly parsed episodes (written in red).

You can either delete the improper media item from the list, or you can tell it which series the item belongs too.

If you choose the latter you will be shown a new list of media items sort by series.

Choose the series from the list, which your improperly parsed item belongs too.

It should then sort the item I to the proper series/season folder.

From that point on, if the organizer comes across any item named in that format, it should remember where it goes.... In a perfect world :)

If the improperly parsed file is in a folder with another file type (example .nfo or indexed .rar), the auto organizer can sometimes have issues redirecting the file. In some cases...

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, however MCE BUDDY is doing all this and more without all the extra work. I will wait for the updates to the rename plugin and see if it completed auto organize function

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk