Connectivity Tests 3.0.6.

Vicpa

Hi,

Was able to test two scenarios so far.

Test Client 8.1 Home laptop

1) Installed the beta over existing 3.0.4.156 install that was logged into Server 3.0.5445.6 on a different machine.

Opened app and got the spinning wheel.(not expected behavior, maybe beta thing?)

Closed app and rebooted the laptop.

App opened up fine, was configured and signed in as the 3.0.4.156 (expected behavior)

Logs

Log Spinning wheel

log.txt

Log today

log 12-3.txt

log credential error, was getting the before

log Credentials.txt

test client 2- 8.1 pro laptop

2) Installed dev server 5448.13879, enabled loopback. New install 4.156 from the Store. (couldn't install beta.) App opened as expected, presented connect option, skipped to manual. Both servers where found. Choose  server on local host, logged in and was good to go...

Will test beta to dev when I can install the beta again.

Let me know any other specific scenarios you would like me to try

-Vicpa  

• Like 1

Yes, that was the anomaly. First time I tried neither the beta or dev server showed up, now they are both there an I can switch back and forth no problem.

First two 3.0.6 betas were fine, 163 was the only one that exhibited that behavior and I don't recall ever seeing my external connection being used. It could have been.

Hi,

Tests with .163

Initial logon no servers found,  

Entered Host name and was authenticated. good to go.

Subsequent attempts to switch servers both local servers were identified and could be selected. Attached are a couple of logs there is an anomaly in that my external was being part of the time. This a bad thing. Luke said this forum is private, please keep my domain name confidential. (No worries here, as I am sure you will, but had to say)

I don't use the connect feature. My isp Comcast is not talking friendly to the MBS sites via IPv6, right now as a workaround I have the IPv4 addresses in my host files. I wouldn't want to introduce my problem into Connect testing.

log 12-5.txt

log 124.txt

Hi,

Did an uninstall, then fresh install and everything went perfectly. Why the anomaly before? Who Knows.

@@Luke

Testing using  "Connect" feature. Caveat IPv6 connectivity to MB3 urls for me has gotten progressively worse, even to the point where mediabrowser.tv was slower loading in the web browser. I now have mb3admin sites and mediabrowser.tv IPv4 addresses on all my machines. in local hosts files. This has proven to be a viable temporary workaround, forum site even now loads much faster (as before).

I realize that Connect is still very new. My use case for Connect is supporting connecting remote users as such for me it needs to be public facing, for the unsophisticated user. A replacement for dynamic dns services is not that important to me.

Scenario

1) Created a new forum user "Blood" .... I was a little uncertain of correct sequence didn't know if I could link a user on the server to an account that didn't exist yet.   

2) verified emails

3) Linked server user account to user

4) acknowledged the connection email.

5) Opened the win8 client, used connect logon. Was connected to the server.

no connectivity issues.

General Observations

I was a little confused, (Often am :) ) I would have thought that the first step would be to authorize the server to be used with "Connect". This is important to me as I don't want unnecessary communication  between a server and Connect on the off chance I may want use connect. There are also a myriad of security concerns.  I saw a lot of "polling" between my server and MB3 as this feature has rolled out, hence the increased need for the hosts file. Is this the case?

I have been waiting for "Connect" to mature before using it with my friends and family. I am sure it will get there, it is really nice feature.!!

Thanks

-Vicpa

If you go into your server dashboard as the admin and invite or link a user then you are basically implicitly authorizing connect usage on that server

Thanks Luke, I agree. Maybe I phrased my question wrong. If I have no users linked or invited, does the server register with connect or try to periodically in the background anyway?