Newegg shipping oops, what would you do?

buddyweiser

buddyweiser

So, I ordered a basic, run of the mill core i5-4440 3.1Ghz, no hyper-threading, from Newegg.com for 169.99, minus the $30 discount for using paypal on cyber monday, costing me 139.99 usd.

What I received, was a core i7-4790K 4Ghz, Hyper-Threading included. I opened the box and was amazed at this botchup!

Now I'm not sure what I should do. Should I report it to newegg? I obviously can't file an RMA if something happens...What would you do?

Redshirt

That's a toughy. 

If you keep it, I doubt anything will happen. If your motherboard and RAM can support the i7 instead of the i5 then your laughing. Otherwise it might cost you a little more to integrate into your setup.

If you phone Newegg and let them know, they may decide it's not worth the hassle to re-process and pick up again. Even though the CPU is double the price of your order. If they do decide they want it back, your back to waiting for a CPU for your PC.

I guess it all boils down to how you feel about it when your lying in bed trying to get to sleep.

buddyweiser

That's a toughy. 

If you keep it, I doubt anything will happen. If your motherboard and RAM can support the i7 instead of the i5 then your laughing. Otherwise it might cost you a little more to integrate into your setup.

If you phone Newegg and let them know, they may decide it's not worth the hassle to re-process and pick up again. Even though the CPU is double the price of your order. If they do decide they want it back, your back to waiting for a CPU for your PC.

I guess it all boils down to how you feel about it when your lying in bed trying to get to sleep.

Oh I'm laughing alright, and I'll be smiling when I'm trying to get to sleep :) I'm pretty sure everything is compatible. This is my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZHYhBm

I'm just wondering if I need a better heat sink. It was for a basic gaming htpc build and I didn't plan on overclocking. But, now that I have it I'm considering swapping out my main computer/mbs server with the i7, but then the gaming htpc would likely be underpowered with only a pentium g3220 dual core 3.0Ghz.

I would call them.  I bet they'll just say keep it.  Otherwise, they should overnight you the right one before you even send that one back.

• Like 2

According to law, they still owe you what you ordered -and- you keep what they sent incorrectly. So you should call them. But if you feel satisfied getting a better product in itself, let them know you won't force them to send you the correct product as well, even though technically, you could. This is called the cost of doing business. It was their mistake not yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

buddyweiser

I think I've decided to call them about it. And hope they don't want to bother to reprocess it. But if they do, I don't have any less than what I paid for.

Sent using my G3

thefirstofthe300

Interested to see how this turns out. I too they they just say keep it. Talk about the ultimate Cyber Monday deal if they do. ☺

Soultaker

What would ST do?

Funnily enough this happened to me two years ago... I ordered a laptop worth around £450 online and received a higher quality model that costs £700.

I've been a loyal customer ever since.

Soultaker

I would call them.  I bet they'll just say keep it.  Otherwise, they should overnight you the right one before you even send that one back.

This place really needs a thumbs down button...

:P

• Like 1