Question about mb2 metadata

doron

Hi,

Another phenomena that I'm starting to see since this version (or some other recent version, I installed this one after a few weeks' gap), is TV episodes that do not get their metadata (remains empty).

There are too many for this to just be an isolated TVDB issue, and I actually checked there's data in TVDB about these episodes. On the other hand, some other new episodes do get metadata. I can't find a common denominator for those which don't.

A relevant log excerpt:

2014-12-03 03:05:38.5248 Debug - App: Running TvdbEpisodeProvider for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5518 Debug - App: Running EpisodeNfoProvider for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5518 Debug - App: EpisodeNfoProvider returned no metadata for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5518 Debug - App: Running EpisodeXmlProvider for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5518 Debug - App: EpisodeXmlProvider returned no metadata for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5518 Debug - App: Running FFProbeProvider for \\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
2014-12-03 03:05:38.5978 Debug - MediaEncoder: C:\Users\Doron\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20141111\ffprobe.exe -i file:"\\10.0.0.100\nas\media\VIDEO\TV Series\Anger Management\Season 2\Anger.Management.S02E81.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format

Any ideas?

EDIT another data point: when investigating this, I took a couple of these episodes in the metadata browser,  planted the TVDB ID of the episode in, saved and asked for a refresh. That did not help either.

Edited by doron

Beardyname

Are there some existing metadata that prevents MB3 from getting it's own? aka some .nfo's or something placed by some other software alongside your media?

• Like 1

Are there some existing metadata that prevents MB3 from getting it's own? aka some .nfo's or something placed by some other software alongside your media?

Hmm. I was about to respond "nope" when I realized there's a folder named "metadata" in the season folder, placed there by an ancient instance of MB2 (which still lived here until a few months ago). I removed this folder and did a refresh, and - metadata started flowing in. I still do not understand this fully - should MB3 be even looking at this subfolder? - I'm mentioning it as the sequence of events.

Thanks!

Yes, that is the same place metadata is stored for TV seasons and, if there is existing metadata there, it will always take precedence over us fetching something else.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the same place metadata is stored for TV seasons and, if there is existing metadata there, it will always take precedence over us fetching something else.

Ah. Thanks!

That being said, there was nothing in that folder that applied to the specific episodes I had problems with. Au contraire: since my MB3 settings are "do not store metadata with media", the last things that were there were related to 6 months old episodes, or older. So this is still a mystery.

Okay, I think I have to reopen this one.

Going back to the original problem description: As of a recent version of server, some TV series episodes never get their metadata pulled.

In one example, it is a whole season. No matter what I do, I can't make the server refetch metadata.

In one test case, the series has 4 seasons. First three have their metadata filled perfectly; all of season 4, does not.

There is zero "other" stuff in the season 4 folder. Just 6 mkv files.

I tried:

• Insert TVDB id in the season metadata editor. Save. Refresh. Nothing.
  • Insert TVDB id in specific episodes metadata. Save. Refresh. Nothing.
  • Do a full media library scan. Wait. Refresh. Nothing.

The log is much like the excerpt above. "Episode provider returned no metadata".

Help!?

The metadata folder is usually hidden.  Make sure you have hidden files turned on in explorer.

Yep. No folder (or any other stuff) there.