Prevent MB Server from transcoding to web client on local network

05TR1CH

Hi, I have just purchased an LG Smart TV which i am delighted to find plays so far all mkv files (from memory stick) that I have thrown at it flawlessly. However, when i use the web browser to access the server and play files, it always transcodes them which puts a huge strain on the server. Is it possible for me to somehow prevent this happening. No big deal if it's not possible, still have the HTPC with MB Classic which I love dearly and can't do without...just curious if it would be possible.

Thx in advance

05TR1CH

We have to transcode to the web browser as different browsers require video formats this will likely never change.

techywarrior

Even if the TV can natively play the video formats that doesn't mean the browser it is running can. Since the main reason to have a browser on the TV is to view normal web pages, and those already anticipate that the user can only use certain video formats (the three main browsers support different ones with a little overlap) it wouldn't make much sense for a TV manufacturer to invest the time in making a plugin to allow other video formats to work.