Organize new media files failed. a minute ago The UNC path should be of the form \\server\share.

malcolmwa
Go to solution Solved by Beardyname,

malcolmwa

Using Server, Version 3.0.5445.6 on Windows 7.

I consistently receive the error notification:

Organize new media files failed.

a minute ago

The UNC path should be of the form \\server\share.

Each media folder is shown in Properties/Sharing as:

\\HUSTONS-HP\Music

Within the folder is <folder_name>/<artist>/<album>/<files>

Log file is attached.

All media is shown in the Media Browser.

Why am I getting this notification?

server-63552953037.txt

review the path you've configured to be monitored. we're trying to get a list of files within that path, and the operating system is giving us an error.

malcolmwa

Would that be set like this?

Q: How can I enable remote access to Media Browser 3 outside of my LAN ?
A: You need to port forward the two MB3 server ports (default 8096 & 8945) on your router to the PC running MB3 server. You may also need to open the ports in your firewall. Once that is done, you should be able to access the MB3 Server via the URL: http://WAN_IP_ADDRESS:PORT/mediabrowser

...replacing WAN_IP_ADDRESS with your router's external IP address (as assigned by your ISP). Optionally, you may wish to sign-up to a free DDNS service if you do not have a static ip through your ISP, or if you wish to have a easier-to-remember address.

• Solution
Beardyname

From your first post it looks like the problem is with the auto-organize feature correct?

the thing you posted lastly if to allow your users to access your server from outside your local network, and is unrelated to network shares.

if you go to Dashboard --> Auto-Organize--> Tv and check what path you have typed there it should then be corrected to (in your case):

\\HUSTONS-HP\InsertFolderHere

Where InsertFolderHere is the folder MBS should be watching for new content to organize.

• Like 1

malcolmwa

Beardyname, that looks like the solution.  I only entered my TV folder as each is located at root, e.g., c:\tv, c:\movies, c:\music.  I only have 3 files in each folder as I am still doing initial install.  A noob step-by-step would be useful since the product has changed so drastically.

Thanks for the help!

Beardyname

Hopefully you will figure it out :)

also you don't really need to set this up if you don't want to use it! (just pointing it out in case it is not obvious)

• 2 months later...
rollerdoor

I have just developed the same problem. I have been using this feature for years with no issue. Recently it began moving new folders as well as episodes. About 3 days ago it seems to have developed an issue and errors out with a file name too long message. I have not changed the paths for a long while.

I have attached an image of the error and copy of the log file. I hope it helps to iron out this issue.

post-5638-0-59446100-1423259277_thumb.png

server-63558892082.txt

Vidman

To the OP

The auto organise watched folder should NOT be the same as your TV library folder

Edited by Vidman

• 2 months later...
bradford

It looks like this is caused by using old APIs (necessary for .NET mono portability?). It seems like this Q/A on StackOverflow addresses the issue of not using Unicode tools/APIs. And someone mentions that it's a problem for Mono projects, which this obviously is. Apparently you can use the \\ notation to address local paths as well, which is supposed to bypass the issue but I haven't tested that yet.

So my question is, is this problem because of .NET limitations or because you're using APIs that don't support Unicode paths?