Media library slightly messed after Server 3.0.5445.5

doron

Hi,

After installing 5445, my library suddenly seemed fubar. Specifically, the EHS in WMC showed a large bunch of shows / episodes that are "new", as if just added, although these shows haven't seen new episodes for years.

A quick check revealed that apparently MB now treats archive files - zip and rar extensions - as media files, This leads to a bunch of rar's that were sitting there forever, to be identified as new media.

I presume this is part of the new media file parsing project; I just wonder why should these files be viewed as media?

I may be behind on some forum posts - tried to search but didn't find much (except for the media file name parsing project). Apologies if I missed something obvious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty much every other app now sees those as media so now we are too. I'm sure we'll introduce configuration for it though.

• Like 1

Pretty much every other app now sees those as media so now we are too. I'm sure we'll introduce configuration for it though.

Thanks Luke.

Just for my education - why is it helpful to treat zip and rar files as media? I mean, the various players won't, AFAIK, play them; you may or may not be able to scrape metadata for them; and the media extraction tools (ffmpeg and friends) probably won't get anything meaningful out of them. Is it helpful in other ways?

Beardyname

Thanks Luke.

Just for my education - why is it helpful to treat zip and rar files as media? I mean, the various players won't, AFAIK, play them; you may or may not be able to scrape metadata for them; and the media extraction tools (ffmpeg and friends) probably won't get anything meaningful out of them. Is it helpful in other ways?

There is a thread in the feature request forum part that could probably give you some tips on why some ppl see this is an useful feature :)

*edit* here is the thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/10765-support-for-media-in-rar-archives/

Edited by Beardyname
  • Like 1

I have a similar problem since the update, lost all my new last added unplayed tv stuff & a load of old stuff appeared instead, these are not zip or rar extension. No problem with version prior.

I have a similar problem since the update, lost all my new last added unplayed tv stuff & a load of old stuff appeared instead, these are not zip or rar extension. No problem with version prior.

So, exactly what are they?

Commodus

I noticed as well that since latest update, there has been a full library sync (old files are now appearing as newly added) and many individual TV show files are not displaying. (.mkv, .mp4...)

To eliminate the problem of old items showing as new, change the Date Added option in the metadata tab to "File" instead of "Imported" date.

@@Luke can we please make the file dates the default again?

Then how come so many people (including my system) had the import date set?  I never touched this option and it was set to imported date.  Did a dev version do that at some point?

Purple Tentacle

Had the same thing happen too.

My movies collection is now gone chaotic. I keep subtitles in a rar file located in the same directory of the movie title in case I needed them now MB is counting them as media, I've had to mass rename the extension to stop them showing up.

Also had MB readd a whole bunch old movies with newly added date.