Which client?

NWW

gthrift

I too had this requirement or one similar to it (Live TV, all formats, no transcoding) and settled on a Gygabit Brix (Celeron version, less than $150 + memory + SSD + Win7). It runs well with the exception that MBC menus are choppy, but playback is excellent for both Live TV (using WMC) and stored media (using MBC). If i had to build it again, I would go with a i3 version for a snappier interface.

And yes it is a shame that there isn't a single, low cost device out there that plays all formats and can stream Live TV from a backend without transcoding.  

MBC was slow on my Intel NUC with a Celeron CPU.  I switch from 1080p to 720p and it is now smooth a silk.  I fine with it since it's a secondary HTPC.  I have an i3 NUC for my primary.  

Deihmos
gthrift, on 03 Dec 2014 - 8:48 PM, said:

MBC was slow on my Intel NUC with a Celeron CPU.  I switch from 1080p to 720p and it is now smooth a silk.  I fine with it since it's a secondary HTPC.  I have an i3 NUC for my primary.  

Are you using Win 7 or Win 8? I found win 8 to be a lot smoother with WMC on my Zotac with a Celeron 857 processor. Everything is smooth as butter and that system is not as good as your nuc. It also has 8GB in it.  I also have a nuc with an i3 and there isn't much difference. Also, XBMC performs a lot better than WMC.

Edited by Deihmos