Optimize MediaBrowser Server

georgewill76

georgewill76

Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this topic but thought since it is related to MediaBrowser Server that I would post here.

I have built my own server based on below:

AMD CPU

20 Hard Drive Server Rack

10 x 2TB Western Digital Green Hard Drives

8GB Ram

120GB SSD Drive for O/S

My hard drives are pooled together using DrivePool so they show up as one big drive.  My Server and Client PC's, running MediaBrowser Classic, are connected via Gigabit Network.

The problem I am running into is that I have a large movie collection, 1500 movies and about 123 TV Shows, and when MediaBrowser Classic connects to server it seems that all the time it is timing out trying to pull in metadata information.  When I click on All Movies the scrolling is really slow as it is still trying to pull in information on my movie collection.  Even scrolling on EHS screen is really slow.

When working within MediaBrowser Server metadata manager it is really slow trying to edit metadata information on one movie.  Takes about 10secs before I can make any changes.

Was wondering how other people have there servers setup:

1.  Since I have a SSD for my O/S drive, which is faster than the drives used for storage would I be better saving the metadata on SSD instead of in media folders?

2.  Is anyone else using DrivePool?

3.  Am I better setting up RAID 6 so that the read/write will be faster?

4.  My setup is using SATA II because of the server case I am using.  Do you think there will be a big improvement if I move my storage onto SATA III?

Was wondering if people could share there server setups as I am thinking of building a new one that is better suited to my needs. 

Playing movies is fine with no stutter or any other problems.  The only problem I have with my setup is in regards to navigation speed and pulling in of information from server.

Olywa123

My own server PC is about 3 or 4 years old (AMD Phenom quad 3.4ghz with 16GB Ram), my media is on located on 2x 6TB WD Greens in the server and on one JBOD enclosure (4x 3TB via esata). 

I have approx 5,000 movies and several hundred TV Shows and performance here is fine, very fluid and fast (metadata manager can take a couple of seconds with this many movies but not 10).

The server will be slow to navigate while your media is being scanned but once the scan completes then it should be fine - assuming your processor is at least a decent dual core I wouldn't expect you to be having these issues.

I don't use drivepool and have nothing raided but all is Sata III (I don't believe sata II should be a problem though).

Is your media still be scanned and metatdata still being fetched when navigating? How is performance from the web client on the server rather than via MBC?

georgewill76

Performance on web client is only slow when using the metadata manager to edit information on movies.  This is after media has been scanned and nothing else happening in background.  Processor I have is AMD Quad Core CPU.  Just seems I have to wait about 1 minute within mediabrowser classic for my images/metadata to show up.  When I navigate through my movies collection and start scrolling to see the list of movies it is really slow as it looks like my client pc is still trying to fetch cover images/metadata from server.  That is why I was wondering if I should store my metadata on the SSD instead so that my client pc can fetch the data a lot quicker. 

Olywa123

I store all metadata on the same disks as the media but have moved my cache/imagesbyname folders to a separate SSD from the OS (under Server-->Settings and Library-->Advanced).

I don't use MBC (only the webclient and Android app), hopefully someone who does will come along and help.

This issue doesn't sound like it actually is related to MBC since you say performance is also slow in the metadata manager but an MBC log might provide some clues.

Sounds like maybe a weak link in the hardware chain.  Like a really slow (or failing) hard drive but that is just a guess.

Metadata is already stored in a cache so changing where you store the actual files isn't going to speed up normal browsing.