xbmc mysql library and mb3/Xbmb3c library sharing

jody
Go to solution Solved by marcelveldt,

cw-kid

OK thanks.

I have Kodi installed on my Windows 7 laptop. I just took out the entries in the advancedsettings.xml file that point it to the MySQL server. 

In Kodi I then installed the XBMC3 Repository, the one from this webpage here. And the instructions that page links to are out of date.

Now I am unsure what to install from this repo? Is it the Media Browser Program add-on?

Presumably the Media Browser Video add-on is the old one.

And also do I have to use a Media Browser compatible Kodi skin? With the new Emby add-on for Kodi?

If so that means I will have to change all the skins on my Kodi PCs which will be a pain. I am currently using the standard Xperience1080 skin. 

Thanks. 

EDIT: In fact the Program add-on and Video add-on in that repo, look to be the same thing, both have the same version number and description. 

Maybe its these:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/7194-kodi-repo/

Edited by cw-kid

marcelveldt

OK thanks.

I have Kodi installed on my Windows 7 laptop. I just took out the entries in the advancedsettings.xml file that point it to the MySQL server. 

In Kodi I then installed the XBMC3 Repository, the one from this webpage here. And the instructions that page links to are out of date.

Now I am unsure what to install from this repo? Is it the Media Browser Program add-on?

Presumably the Media Browser Video add-on is the old one.

And also do I have to use a Media Browser compatible Kodi skin? With the new Emby add-on for Kodi?

If so that means I will have to change all the skins on my Kodi PCs which will be a pain. I am currently using the standard Xperience1080 skin. 

Thanks. 

EDIT: In fact the Program add-on and Video add-on in that repo, look to be the same thing, both have the same version number and description. 

Maybe its these:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/7194-kodi-repo/

Install the Emby add-on. The MediaBrowser addon is the older one and is not really updated anymore.

You can install any skin you like, no need for a special skin or something.

cw-kid

OK great, I just installed the beta repo from the first post on this thread and I have installed the Emby add-on it says its version 0.1.7. 

I'm looking at the Emby add-on settings now. I haven't seen any instructions for how to configure the add-on any where?

In the Emby section of the add-ons settings, I've entered the LAN IP of the WHS 2011 / Emby server and entered an Emby username.

In the Playback section of the add-ons settings, there are fields for a Network username and password, so in here I entered the credentials Kodi normally uses to access the SMB shares on the server. 

As this Kodi PC is no longer being pointed to the MySQL server, the Movies, TV Shows and Music libraries were all then empty.

So I have edited the sources in Kodi for each SMB folder share and changed the scraper to be the "Local Information Only" one. 

Its currently refreshing the content and presumably building up its own new local SQLite database instead. 

So when all that's finished, how will I know the integration between this Kodi PC and Emby is working properly?

Cheers

cw-kid

Its still refreshing the movies in Kodi but looking at the new local DB file its growing in size, so seems to be working as far as that is concerned. 

554e34492edc4_SQLite.png

marcelveldt

OK great, I just installed the beta repo from the first post on this thread and I have installed the Emby add-on it says its version 0.1.7. 

I'm looking at the Emby add-on settings now. I haven't seen any instructions for how to configure the add-on any where?

In the Emby section of the add-ons settings, I've entered the LAN IP of the WHS 2011 / Emby server and entered an Emby username.

In the Playback section of the add-ons settings, there are fields for a Network username and password, so in here I entered the credentials Kodi normally uses to access the SMB shares on the server. 

As this Kodi PC is no longer being pointed to the MySQL server, the Movies, TV Shows and Music libraries were all then empty.

So I have edited the sources in Kodi for each SMB folder share and changed the scraper to be the "Local Information Only" one. 

Its currently refreshing the content and presumably building up its own new local SQLite database instead. 

So when all that's finished, how will I know the integration between this Kodi PC and Emby is working properly?

Cheers

1. you didn't have to enter those details in the addon settings. If you'd have restarted Kodi it would fine the server and set the config automatically.

2. You're correct when setting the SMB credentials. Without it it would be using play from stream/HTTP.

3. Don't add any sources to Kodi. Make sure to delete them as it will cause issues (perhaps). Just let the addon do it's work and sync all your media, no need to add those sources.

4. As you have already scaped the content now you'd have to do a database reset to fix it. First remove those sources (not needed when using emby addon) and go to the emby addon settings. In the advanced settings press Reset local DB, this will wipe your local database, reset and performs the full sync from Emby server to your Kodi client.

BTW: You're right about the instructions. Once we get out of beta stage we will make sure there's some good documentation available.

Edited by marcelveldt

cw-kid

WOW! OK so I don't need the sources my bad! I thought someone had said somewhere you have to use the "Local Information Only" scraper in Kodi for it to read the nfo files that Emby produces, which implied I still needed the sources to use that scraper etc. 

I have just deleted the sources.xml file to take out all of the sources from Kodi. 

I've reset the DB in the Emby add-on settings and now after reopening Kodi its detected the server, then prompts me to select an Emby user, some have (Secure) in brackets some don't. And then it prompts for the Emby users password.

Now its finished syncing my small test media content that is in Emby and in Kodi I can see those titles in the Movies and TV Shows areas. 

So seems to have worked! But is working totally differently to how I imagined it would.  :o

So now in Confluence when I go to VIDEOS that area now looks like this:

554e41c014dc9_VideoFiles.png

So how do we now added sources for other things not in Emby?

Many thanks

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

To add your own source for other stuff if you select Files from that list in the above screen shot and then select Add Videos it brings up the normal dialogue box for adding a video source.

So when new content is added to the server / Emby, Kodi using the Emby add-on will just auto sync and display the new content?

Or do we still need to use the Kodi update library function? 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

OK I kinda see what's going on now, if I launch the Emby add-on from the Programs list it looks the same (similar) as going to VIDEOS area in Confluence now looks.

554e446c4142a_Embyaddon.png

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

I've just added some other video sources. For my Security camera streams I have to add them as a source, so I can then see them in Kodi and so I can stream the cams live pictures etc. 

I also added a folder where all my test sample video file types are stored. These things would not be added in to the Emby library. 

VIDEO FILES Now looks like this:

554e4828237de_VideoFiles2.png

And the VIDEOS area looks like this:

554e41c014dc9_VideoFiles.png

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a major change to my entire Kodi setup!  :o

Is it currently recommended to have the Music library still use the normal Kodi source for its SMB share. 

I see in the Emby add-on there is an option to also sync music but is experimental. 

I think this is all going to be extremely cool when its all setup and working! 

Thanks

cw-kid

OK I am official impressed!! 

I just added a new movie (avi) to the movie folder that Emby is monitoring and in Kodi it just automatically appeared!

So looks like we won't be using the Kodi video library update routine any more. 

Which means I will have to adjust CouchPotato and Sickbeard as they automatically run a library update on my main Kodi HTPC when new content has been downloaded. 

• Like 2

marcelveldt

Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a major change to my entire Kodi setup!  :o

Is it currently recommended to have the Music library still use the normal Kodi source for its SMB share. 

I see in the Emby add-on there is an option to also sync music but is experimental. 

I think this is all going to be extremely cool when its all setup and working! 

Thanks

The music support works fine if you're in a local setup, so accessing the music via SMB or local paths.

For remote/streaming the music support is still a bit buggy.

I would say just give it a try. Been working and testing on the music support for a few days now and it seems quite stable to be.

marcelveldt

OK I am official impressed!! 

I just added a new movie (avi) to the movie folder that Emby is monitoring and in Kodi it just automatically appeared!

So looks like we won't be using the Kodi video library update routine any more. 

Which means I will have to adjust CouchPotato and Sickbeard as they automatically run a library update on my main Kodi HTPC when new content has been downloaded. 

hehe, that was the meaning of building this addon..

It will be total automated now. CP or SB will add a new movie to your folders, Emby picks it up, scaped the metadata and within seconds it will be visible on your Kodi clients

cw-kid

Well I have to say I think you guys have done an amazing job putting all this together.  :D

• Like 3

cw-kid

The music support works fine if you're in a local setup, so accessing the music via SMB or local paths.

For remote/streaming the music support is still a bit buggy.

I would say just give it a try. Been working and testing on the music support for a few days now and it seems quite stable to be.

Seems to have worked. I first deleted the folder for the music location in Kodi and then enabled the music sync option in the Emby add-on.

In Kodi I can now see the music albums I added to the Emby Server. All the artwork (for my skin) seems to be showing for the albums and artists in Kodi.

Actually the music import in to the Emby Server went very smoothly for the small number of artists I am testing with. It just used all the existing Kodi artwork files that the CDArtManager add-on had previously downloaded. 

I'll be glad to get rid of the Kodi add-ons Artwork Downloader and CDArtManager to be honest. They generally worked but were a bit clunky. 

There's 1600 + albums so yet to see how it will cope with that number. 

• Like 1

cw-kid

I am just looking at the Watched / Unwatched status side of things. 

If I am logged in to the same Emby user account in Kodi and also in the Emby Web GUI.

Then if I mark a movie as "Played" in the Web GUI and then sync Kodi, that same movie title in Kodi then is also showing at watched. And it works the other way, if I mark a movie as watched in Kodi, then that is also reflected in the Web GUI.

So far so good!

However after importing the movie titles and TV Shows in to Emby Server from the local Kodi .nfo files. I seem to have lost all my watched / unwatched statuses.

For example one of the TV Shows I imported in to Emby from Kodi was "Vikings". And in Kodi previously I had already watched all the episodes.

But when looking at Vikings now in the Emby Web GUI all the episodes are marked as unwatched or not played. 

So some thing has gone wrong, if I look at the nfo file for Vikings S01E01 I can see:

<watched>false</watched>

This should have been true. 

So something not right with the Kodi export Video Library. 

And stranger still, if I look at the nfo file for Vikings S01E02  E03 E04 E05 etc there is no <watched> tag at all in the file. 

Question on Kodi forum here.

EDIT: 

I can see a <playcount>1</playcount> tag in the NFO files, is this what Emby should be reading on its import ?

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

It is the playcount tag! So why is Emby not reading this and setting the watched / unwatched statuses? 

<playcount>0</playcount><!-- setting this to > 0 will mark the movie as watched if the "importwatchedstate" flag is set in advancedsettings.xml -->

Angelblue05

Yeah Kodi does not use watched flag anymore. They base the information on playcount, because when you unwatched an item it actually resets the playcount back to 0. If the playcount is higher than 0, the item is considered watched in Kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cw-kid

Yeah Kodi does not use watched flag anymore. They base the information on playcount, because when you unwatched an item it actually resets the playcount back to 0. If the playcount is higher than 0, the item is considered watched in Kodi.

Thanks that makes sense. 

So Emby should read this on its import though?

Angelblue05

I don't know how Emby deals with this information however. But from what you are saying in your previous post - it seems to be based off the watched flag.

cw-kid

I don't know why the NFO file for Vikings S01E01 had a <watched> tag in it? As I only created all the Kodi Helix NFO files yesterday, so its not legacy stuff.

And the other episodes in that season didn't have a <watched> tag, so maybe a red herring.

But they do all have the <playcount> tag and that is what Emby should be reading to set the watched / unwatched statuses. 

Episode 1:

554e71b5cd160_VikingsNFO.png

Episode 2:

554e7262a82d4_VikingsNFO2.png

Edited by cw-kid
  • Like 1

marcelveldt

I don't know why the NFO file for Vikings S01E01 had a <watched> tag in it? As I only created all the Kodi Helix NFO files yesterday, so its not legacy stuff.

And the other episodes in that season didn't have a <watched> tag, so maybe a red herring.

But they do all have the <playcount> tag and that is what Emby should be reading to set the watched / unwatched statuses. 

Maybe for the time beiing you can try a find-replace action on all the xml files ?

replace <playcount>0</playcount>  with <watched>false</watched>

and <playcount>1</playcount> with <watched>true</watched>

You can do such thing with notepad++ for example

cw-kid

Hi

So what are we saying here? That Emby Server NFO file importer is looking for the tag <watched> ? And doesn't currently use <playcount> ?

I can manually edit a few NFO files as you suggest for testing the Emby import, but I couldn't do that for my entire media collection, I'd still be here a year later. 

Thanks

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Can we confirm what tag Emby server is looking at when determining if the item is played or not? Is it looking at <watched> or <playcount>? Maybe it needs to be adjusted to using <playcount> as Kodi bases their watch status on this and not on <watched>.

cw-kid

OK I just edited the NFO file for a movie title "8MM" not currently in the Emby Library:

I changed <playcount>1</playcount> to <watched>true</watched>

I then moved it in to the folder Emby is monitoring. 

When I view the movie in Emby web GUI, it is showing as PLAYED

So please can you also add <playcount> soon or I won't be able to import my entire media collection in to Emby until then!

Many Thanks

554f6ca35f65f_Played.png

Edited by cw-kid