OT- Xzener's Dedicated Theater 2.0

Xzener

Xzener

Thanks Angelblue05,

Luckily, the blacklights are off during movies... Otherwise I would have the same problem. LOL!

Xzener

Here is one of the last pieces of the puzzle... And it literally will be a puzzle (I hate installing crown molding). It is a concept which I designed myself and am having a local business fabricate for me. It will be made of dense Styrofoam and polyurethane coated. The picture shows a bottom view looking up.

54dabae9cc48c_Capture.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Xzener

I have some good pics coming. The company custom forming my crown molding sent some great pics... Will post them tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Xzener

Sorry for the late reply... Life gets crazy at times. ^_^

Here are a couple pics of the custom crown molding. These are basically laying in position, the molding is still just raw (not primed/painted). Unfortunately, this is requiring much more finish work than I had hoped. Not to mention, Jeff from NightSkyMurals graced me with his presence and is not happy with the molding. He is certain the mural will be obscured from the black lights due to the molding... I have to agree with him, but am determined to at least install it, then make a decision on what to do next (raise the fixtures to have better coverage). But, with out further babbling, here are the pictures...

550beda1ebcdf_IMAG000512800x452.jpg

550bedb238028_IMAG00060800x452.jpg

tobias-tobin

Wow, you are really going all out.  Very cool.

I know it is too late for this.  I am not suggesting anything, I just want to let you know about an idea I had.  And it could be applied to the crown molding.

I  bought these led light strips off amazon that are pretty cool.  It is basically tape, with leds embedded in it.  The tape can be cut a junctures about every three inches and then rejoined to allow for incorporating 45 degree bends, or jumper extensions, or flexible bends.  Then you have a remote control and can do about anything you want with the lighting.  Any color, adjust brightness, the one's I have will even respond to music (i.e. change to the beat).  I think I got 16ft rolls for about $27.

I bring this up because I was thinking about doing a molding around my gameroom.  You can purchase a track with a slip frosted transparent cover.  So I could use that to make a molding (although definitely not as aesthetic as your molding) that runs around the room.  And then lay the led strips inside.  Final product would be a glowing molding that I could adjust both color and brightness.  It is something I still may do.  I just so occupied with the HA stuff right now.  But actually this could be integrated with the HA.  They sell the exact same thing but marketed under HA equipment for $200 a roll.  Wow.  Seriously over priced.

But if you look online you can see what I mean about using this stuff to create ambient lighting around a room and the lights can actually put off a decent amount of light.  I did a setup for Jill in the kitchen running it under our cabinets which illuminates the counter tops.  It looks great and she loves the colors so she can adjust it for the holidays.  

What inspired you to build a theater?  Is it like a man cave for you, or is it so the whole family can have a at home out to the movies experience?  Just curious?  Also, is it in a basement?

On the HA front, for some reason I have the ear of the developer of Sarah which is kinda cool.  there are 2600+ members on the Google+ community for it (basically what should be a forum) and he always writes me back almost immediately among the onslaught of questions from everyone. I am running the beta of v4 now.  I have also been studying a shitload and learning new programming languages and things you can do to expand my system.  Last night I setup a plugin where you can ask: Sarah, give me trivia about the number <value>.  It then takes the number you spoke and sends it to a website via an API where a trivia fact about the number is returned in JSON.  I parse out the fact and then have the speech synthesis tell you 'here is some trivia about the number <value>. Then it gives you some info like 'there were 23 conspirators to kill Julius Caesar' if you said that number (I just made that up as an example.  I really did it as a proof of concept on leveraging the sudden explosion of web apis that will return information.

Keep me posted on the theater and I loved seeing the pictures.  I hope you guys get it to where you like it and it works the way you want.  Maybe someday I can take a trip out West and stop by and visit you and check it out.

Later,

tobias. 

chef

I bought about 10 feet of that LED Tape, you mentioned Tobias,  last week. I've been putting everywhere in my home. I have it stuck behind my TV so it glows on the wall, I have it inside my new server wall unit. It looks really cool when it turns on.  I have been using a vera lite device, along with my system.speech app to turn on and off lights, including those LEDS, and even Media Browser  triggers the LEDS.

I like your idea about placing it in channeling. I might try that myself. :)

• Like 1

fantaxp7

I bought about 10 feet of that LED Tape, you mentioned Tobias,  last week. I've been putting everywhere in my home. I have it stuck behind my TV so it glows on the wall, I have it inside my new server wall unit. It looks really cool when it turns on.  I have been using a vera lite device, along with my system.speech app to turn on and off lights, including those LEDS, and even Media Browser  triggers the LEDS.

I like your idea about placing it in channeling. I might try that myself. :)

ooo I like this idea. Do you have a link to what you got chef?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
chef

The company name is illume.

It was on sale at Home Depot.

It looks great!

image.jpg

Edited by chef