Built-in Video Info Screens

dark_slayer

dark_slayer

Greetings,

I've spammed about 5 different threads about this now, so I apologize and hope to consolidate my . . . request?

Can anyone take a stab at explaining the requirement to get "play" / "resume" / "trailer" to work from the originally skinned Video Info screens? Not just for me (as it needs significant dumbing down for me to understand) but for future (new) skinners as well?

c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd121667040b351295

I know that in one incantation of Aeon Nox this worked (sans trailers) for movies and tv shows from xnappo's post here http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9550-last-update/?p=128027

I tested this and it worked nicely. It still works in Nox4 actually (and Nox5 and did work in Titan at one point though now it times out instead) but at the moment on the latest stable server and the latest betas of xbmb3c/nox4 the screen only works for movies

All that aside (which I'm sure can be sorted again as it worked once before) there is also another couple common uses of the video info screen in XBMC. One is to run the artwork downloader which we can thankfully kick to the curb as MB3 server automates all of that for us nicely. The other is trailers. The default will play anything found in your media folder with "Movie Name (Year) - trailer.ext" when the "Movie Name (Year)" matches the folder you are in. As a fallback it will search youtube with the scraped title name . . . 

Currently im85288 has this working in the 1080XF video info screen  :)  It's the only built-in video info screen I've found so far (of the modded skins) that has the youtube trailer option for MB3 libraries

Is there a way that the knowledge needed to skin those components into the default video info screen could be laid out here for everyone to take advantage of?

Also, pressing "play" on a standard remote or "P" on your keyboard now initiates playback of whichever item you happen to be viewing in your video libraries now (at least for me in the skins I've tried) in XBMB3C. This didn't work previously.

As a "workaround" I'm currently using 1080XF with System->Videos->File Lists->Default Select Action set to "Resume" so that playback begins, but pressing "i" (mapped to a key on my remote) to get to the 1080XF built-in info screen to play trailers  ;)  On my other htpc I'm still running Gotham with Nox4, and I like to leave the Default Select Action at "Show Info" instead of "resume" since "Play" works fine in Movies. In TV Show episodes, I just press "P" (mapped to play on my remote) instead of "Enter" and avoid the show info screen

As much stink as I've raised this weekend around the MB3/XBMC forums, I really have no intention of trying to pressure/nag anyone. I did have some free time and wanted to test/log/post as much as I could in hopes that some of these things move forward. I have plenty of patience, and I'm very thankful to all of you who spend your free time making this great add-on / skin mods for all of us to use. That being said, after this weekend and sometime next week my "quarterly" round of complaints will be over. I'll probably be offline a majority of time and only enjoying all the great work you guys put in to making the MB3/XBMC marriage a reality (and living with whatever ailments remain until I get ample time to discuss/log/participate again after the holidays)

Edited by dark_slayer

xnappo

The 'Info screen' stuff isn't hard at all - we can write up how to add it.  The current stuttering problem and inability to browse into the addon has me more concerned though, so we will get to the bottom of those first.

The keyboard intercepts - as far as we know there is nothing that can be done.  If the skinner uses the native info screen, it will always act slightly different than the XBMB3C custom info screen.

xnappo

im85288

For skinners wishing to add support they just need to look at the relevant skins Github page and see how it is done. This is normally enough documentation for any skinner. The best thing to do would be report it in the skins thread where it does not work and ask for support.

marcelveldt

For the stuttering problem... Make sure you use the latest version of the Titan skin helper service...

The one on official XBMC repo has problems combined with latest XBMB3C, just figured that out.

The good version of the titan skin and helperservice (that gets the images for the tiles) is availabe on normal XBMB3c repo.

As for the infoscreen, I just fixed the official infoscreen in latest Titan beta, including MB3 local trailers and youtube trailers... will upload this later tonight.

While working on the infodialog I discovered some strange things.. The play button was indeed not working with episodes, only with movies.

I created a workaround for this in the skin itself, but I think we have to fix it in the addon, I'll try to look into it myself.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
dark_slayer

The 'Info screen' stuff isn't hard at all - we can write up how to add it.  The current stuttering problem and inability to browse into the addon has me more concerned though, so we will get to the bottom of those first.

The keyboard intercepts - as far as we know there is nothing that can be done.  If the skinner uses the native info screen, it will always act slightly different than the XBMB3C custom info screen.

xnappo

Okay, I keep bugging everyone to make the XBMB3C custom info screen fullscreen, but I have yet to hear anyone else say "Yeah that sounds good" or "No that would be horrific"

Taking a little look around I've found that every single one of our modded skins had a fullscreen VideoInfoDialog "as designed" so I'm not sure specifically where the window-dialog-looking concept came from, but is that really what everyone else wants? If so, I'll kindly move on  :)

Also @@xnappo, I was referring to the keyboard intercepts as some kind of confused-child-type way of saying "but it works if I press this"  :rolleyes:  Also, I hadn't noticed you integrated Youtube trailers into the context menu of Nox. Nice  :)  As to the built-in videoinfo screen, do you see a way of integrating Youtube trailers there instead of the context menu? Finally, in recent news someone else noticed the "built-in" play button only working with movies and not tv shows  :huh:  see marcelveldt's quote below

For the stuttering problem... Make sure you use the latest version of the Titan skin helper service...

The one on official XBMC repo has problems combined with latest XBMB3C, just figured that out.

The good version of the titan skin and helperservice (that gets the images for the tiles) is availabe on normal XBMB3c repo.

As for the infoscreen, I just fixed the official infoscreen in latest Titan beta, including MB3 local trailers and youtube trailers... will upload this later tonight.

While working on the infodialog I discovered some strange things.. The play button was indeed not working with episodes, only with movies.

I created a workaround for this in the skin itself, but I think we have to fix it in the addon, I'll try to look into it myself.

Thanks for looking into that

Why are the different? (~probably not worth your time answering, but if you think you can dumb it down for me I'd be happy to know  :P )

marcelveldt

Okay, I keep bugging everyone to make the XBMB3C custom info screen fullscreen, but I have yet to hear anyone else say "Yeah that sounds good" or "No that would be horrific"

Taking a little look around I've found that every single one of our modded skins had a fullscreen VideoInfoDialog "as designed" so I'm not sure specifically where the window-dialog-looking concept came from, but is that really what everyone else wants? If so, I'll kindly move on  :)

Also @@xnappo, I was referring to the keyboard intercepts as some kind of confused-child-type way of saying "but it works if I press this"  :rolleyes:  Also, I hadn't noticed you integrated Youtube trailers into the context menu of Nox. Nice  :)  As to the built-in videoinfo screen, do you see a way of integrating Youtube trailers there instead of the context menu? Finally, in recent news someone else noticed the "built-in" play button only working with movies and not tv shows  :huh:  see marcelveldt's quote below

Thanks for looking into that

Why are the different? (~probably not worth your time answering, but if you think you can dumb it down for me I'd be happy to know  :P )

In Titan skin I don't want to use the "special" infodialog. I just want to use the normal videoinfo dialog, also for the MediaBrowser add-on...

All seems to work fine now in the beta so I'll push this asap to stable...

dark_slayer

In Titan skin I don't want to use the "special" infodialog. I just want to use the normal videoinfo dialog, also for the MediaBrowser add-on...

All seems to work fine now in the beta so I'll push this asap to stable...

Yes, play from your videoinfo dialog works in both Movies and TV Shows in MB3 mode on your latest Titan Beta. Nice

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Cross posting a little from Marcel's Titan thread . .

Basically the problem was that XBMC gets the wrong contenttype reported by the addon. So for example you want to show the info dialog for a movie (from mb3 addon), the contenttype in xbmc was reported as "episode".

the contenttype is wrongly reported to xbmc. Yesterday I doscovered that this also the case in the player itself; a quick test learned me that while playing a movie, xbmc reports the content to be episode. This is something that has to be fixed in the add-on, for now I created a workaround in the Titan skin but that;'s not a solution in my opinion. I must say that I don't know all about that piece of code in the addon

im85288

I will add a little to marcel's statement...just to confirm I also experienced this quite a while back. My workaround was to provide the actual itemType as identified in MediaBrowser to the skin...but this is not a complete solution. Most likely this is what Marcel is referring too in his skin. The code in the addon seems to be correct so it will be a bit of a head scratcher to solve...

Edited by im85288

marcelveldt

I will add a little to marvel's statement...just to confirm I also experienced this quite a while back. My workaround was to provide the actual itemType as identified in MediaBrowser to the skin...but this is not a complete solution. Most likely this is what Marcel is referring too in his skin. The code in the addon seems to be correct so it will be a bit of a head scratcher to solve...

Yeah I use that workaround too... My point is that I don't know why the workaround is there in the first place. I will for sure try to fix this in the add on but maybe there's a reason for it...

dark_slayer

Hi @@im85288

I tried out 1080xf after you had pushed what you felt was a fix, but it wasn't working still

I just checked it out again for you (version 3.0.78 from beta repo) and it semi works now. It works for movies but not episodes

• Like 1

marcelveldt

@im85288, look at the workaround I created for this problem in Titan:

<control type="button" id="8">
	<!--Play-->
	<label>208</label>
	<width>300</width>
	<height>60</height>
	<align>center</align>
	<textoffsetx>0</textoffsetx>
	<visible>!substring(Container.FolderPath,plugin://plugin.video.xbmb3c)</visible>
	<onclick>Dialog.Close(MovieInformation)</onclick>
</control>

<control type="button" id="1008">
	<!--Play MB3 hacky workaround-->
	<label>208</label>
	<width>300</width>
	<height>60</height>
	<align>center</align>
	<textoffsetx>0</textoffsetx>
	<onclick condition="!StringCompare(Window(home).Property(MB3.Action),None) + !IsEmpty(Window(home).Property(MB3.Action))">$INFO[Window(home).Property(MB3.Action)]</onclick>
	<onclick condition="StringCompare(Window(home).Property(MB3.Action),None) | IsEmpty(Window(home).Property(MB3.Action))">PlayMedia($ESCINFO[ListItem.FileNameAndPath])</onclick>
	<visible>substring(Container.FolderPath,plugin://plugin.video.xbmb3c)</visible>
	<onclick>Dialog.Close(MovieInformation)</onclick>
</control>
Edited by marcelveldt
  • Like 1

im85288

Thanks Marcel, I will get that integrated later on :)

Yeah I use that workaround too... My point is that I don't know why the workaround is there in the first place. I will for sure try to fix this in the add on but maybe there's a reason for it...

Yes very true, I posted this in the Developer section some months back but none of the other developers seemed to have noticed it or be experiencing it as there was no response. So I added the itemType to do the check in the skin. Please have a look at fixing it in the addon...when I attempted to do this a while back I failed :( The code below (found in processDirectory) seems correct to me....

viewType=""
        if item.get("Type") == "Movie":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'movies')
            viewType="_MOVIES"
        elif item.get("Type") == "BoxSet":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'movies')
            viewType="_BOXSETS"          
        elif item.get("Type") == "Series":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'tvshows')
            viewType="_SERIES"
        elif item.get("Type") == "Season":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'seasons')
            viewType="_SEASONS"
            guiid = item.get("SeriesId")
        elif item.get("Type") == "Episode":
            prefix=''
            if __settings__.getSetting('addSeasonNumber') == 'true':
                prefix = "S" + str(tempSeason)
                if __settings__.getSetting('addEpisodeNumber') == 'true':
                    prefix = prefix + "E"
                #prefix = str(tempEpisode)
            if __settings__.getSetting('addEpisodeNumber') == 'true':
                prefix = prefix + str(tempEpisode)
            if prefix != '':
                tempTitle = prefix + ' - ' + tempTitle
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'episodes')
            viewType="_EPISODES"
            guiid = item.get("SeriesId")
        elif item.get("Type") == "MusicArtist":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'artists')
            viewType='_MUSICARTISTS'
        elif item.get("Type") == "MusicAlbum":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'albums')
            viewType='_MUSICTALBUMS'
        elif item.get("Type") == "Audio":
            xbmcplugin.setContent(pluginhandle, 'songs')
            viewType='_MUSICTRACKS'

xnappo

@@dark_slayer - honestly just look at the ItemInfo.xml file in the skin directorty and change the dimensions to how you want it.  It isn't rocket science.  It is barely even programming.  

If you get it a way you think looks better, post a screenshot.  

I don't mean to offend, but really in the amount of time you have spent talking about it, you could have changed it yourself :D

xnappo

marcelveldt

@@dark_slayer - honestly just look at the ItemInfo.xml file in the skin directorty and change the dimensions to how you want it.  It isn't rocket science.  It is barely even programming.  

If you get it a way you think looks better, post a screenshot.  

I don't mean to offend, but really in the amount of time you have spent talking about it, you could have changed it yourself :D

xnappo

I'm just curious why the iteminfo dialog is there in first place, I kinda missed that info...

XBMC has a builtin screen for videoinfo and that works for 95% with the MB3 addon, except for this issue...

Me as a skinner wants to just use the normal XBMC dialog and make it compatible with the addons. So, basically I have to agree with @@dark_slayer that it's confusing for users that they need a different info dialog just for the MB3-addon. Except there's a really good reason for that ?

I'm happy to help sort out the issues with the contenttype being set wrong because in my eyes that's the only issue (and the play action off course).

Maybe this is more something for the dev forum to get me (and maybe others) up to speed with what's going on in the addon so we're able to help.

Edited by marcelveldt

xnappo

@ was trying to make an info screen that was more advanced.  It was really just an experiment I think.  I know @im82588 helped me incorporate the actor list into the 'normal' Nox info dialog, but it came from null_pointer's work.  There may well be other advantages but.. I don't know either!  I do know his 'search' replacement is much better, but I don't think anyone picked that up...

I am sure @ will chime in the explain what I missed :D

This is why I was saying we need a table.  The skins have gotten crazy different.

Edited by xnappo

im85288

I'm just curious why the iteminfo dialog is there in first place, I kinda missed that info...

XBMC has a builtin screen for videoinfo and that works for 95% with the MB3 addon, except for this issue...

Me as a skinner wants to just use the normal XBMC dialog and make it compatible with the addons. So, basically I have to agree with @@dark_slayer that it's confusing for users that they need a different info dialog just for the MB3-addon. Except there's a really good reason for that ?

I'm happy to help sort out the issues with the contenttype being set wrong because in my eyes that's the only issue (and the play action off course).

Maybe this is more something for the dev forum to get me (and maybe others) up to speed with what's going on in the addon so we're able to help.

As @@xnappo mentioned it was created by @ as an alternative info dialog. It is by no means required by the addon and is in fact turned off by default so it should not confuse users. Initally I did not want to use it either because the way it works it comes up when you press play and I thought that was one extra click I did not want..but once I started to get used to that it grew on me as a consistent way of viewing movies/episodes. I then added some extra features such as being able to like/dislike, favourite, mark played  etc etc. The advantages it has is that it works directly with the data, so it does not need to mess about with window propertys etc. There's also some cool stuff going on with actors that null_pointer did where clicking on one opens a new dialog with the movies/shows they are in listed. Some cool features and nice innovation if you ask me. 

Anyway the key thing here is that the alternate info is optional for any skin/skinner and of course the native video info dialog should work correctly. 

Adding even more to that, it looks like the extended info script is about to gain a new VideoInfo dialog for the native library with extra actor support etc: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=160558&page=27 so there will be more changes on the way I guess :)

xnappo

Okay, we are definitely going into dev territory here - sorry users :)

@@im85288 - isn't is possible though to do those same windows in the native display?  You added the 'Actor' stuff to Nox4's native display - so it is just a matter of drawing the sub-window right?

Anyway - documenting what the custom XML stuff is over in the 'Skin Properties' thread is probably a good idea.

xnappo

im85288

Yeah I guess we have drifted to dev stuff here.

There's two custom skin dialogs we can have the persons.xml and the iteminfo.xml. The persons.xml is called when you click on an actor and the iteminfo.xml is for the alternate video info dialog. So yes it's just a matter of having a persons.xml in the skin for the actors.

I'll add that info in the skin properties thread.

marcelveldt

As @@xnappo mentioned it was created by @ as an alternative info dialog. It is by no means required by the addon and is in fact turned off by default so it should not confuse users. Initally I did not want to use it either because the way it works it comes up when you press play and I thought that was one extra click I did not want..but once I started to get used to that it grew on me as a consistent way of viewing movies/episodes. I then added some extra features such as being able to like/dislike, favourite, mark played  etc etc. The advantages it has is that it works directly with the data, so it does not need to mess about with window propertys etc. There's also some cool stuff going on with actors that null_pointer did where clicking on one opens a new dialog with the movies/shows they are in listed. Some cool features and nice innovation if you ask me. 

Anyway the key thing here is that the alternate info is optional for any skin/skinner and of course the native video info dialog should work correctly. 

Adding even more to that, it looks like the extended info script is about to gain a new VideoInfo dialog for the native library with extra actor support etc: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=160558&page=27 so there will be more changes on the way I guess :)

Ah, thanks for the explanations, it makes more sense now. Offcourse the native screen should still work like it works by default in XBMC...

Untill this is issued I suggest to use my workaround for this ?

We'll discuss the rest about this on dev thread... :-)