DNS issues

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I run a DNS server at my house for various reasons. And to make it easier to access media browser, I have been using my DNS server to point "watchtv" to my mediabrowser server. However, when using the android app I am able to connect and browse the library but when I go to cast it I get the ready to cast screen and it will never cast. There is never any error shown, it just won't cast.

Then when I use the IP of the mb server, it works without a problem. Any clue?

AxelAxel3

Later in the thread it states that they fixed it for android 4.x for DNS servers. But if it didn't allow DNS servers, then how could I get on Google.com?

Redshirt

The issue still isn't fixed as people confirm throughout. That's why I'm asking how your able to do it. Hostname lookup such as "watchtv" doesn't work. Using FQDN such as "watchtv.myserver.com" does work.

AxelAxel3

Watchtv isn't the hostname of the pc... The hostname is computer10. Watchtv is the internal domain pointed to the ip. I do also run a custom os but I believe that even before that it was working.

AxelAxel3

Ok so I just verfied that on one of my stock kitkat phones watchtv does not work, but watchtv.local does (which I also have pointed to the ip by the DNS server). So maybe if I use .local the chromecast will work.