Can you disable automatic updates?

Newalpost

Newalpost

I have Zonealarm Pro Firewall installed on my media PC.  The PC is set to load the MediaBrowser Server at startup along with MCE.

The problem is that often the startup hangs because Zonealarm blocks an attempt by Mediabrowser to install a program to run at startup.  Despite giving Zonealarm permission to allow this and to remember the setting it happens again the next day.  (I really need to look at Zonealarm for more details which I'll provide when I get them)

Now maybe this is due to something within Mediabrowser trying to do an update so I looked to see if it's possible to stop automatic updates and I can't find any such option.  The only option I've found is what type of update I want e.g. beta, dev, official release.

So, I have two questions:--

1.  What is Mediabrowser doing at startup that makes Zonealarm report its trying to install a program to run at startup?

2.  Is there an option not to have any automatic updates?

Thxs

Happy2Play

So, I have two questions:--

1.  What is Mediabrowser doing at startup that makes Zonealarm report its trying to install a program to run at startup?

2.  Is there an option not to have any automatic updates?

Go to Scheduled Tasks (dashboard-advanced), Application update and plugin update are scheduled on startup.  Click on the task to show/change interval.

Newalpost

No, I don't want to disable autorun at startup because I want to launch MB and MCE at power up time.

What I've now disabled, as per Happy2play's suggestion, is the checks for application updates and plugin updates.

I haven't seen yet if this fixes my problem.

FWIW: the exe that Zonealarm flags up is mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe

What you really want to do is fix it so ZoneAlarm doesn't have a problem with our app because, eventually, you will get left behind and things will probably get incompatible.

Newalpost

I agree that I need to find out why Zonealarm keeps flagging this up since I do give it permission to accept Mediabrowser.

However, it's still my preference not to have automatic updates - unless I misunderstand this function.  Does automatic updates on just flag that there is a new update and give me the option to install or not;  or does it automatically install the update?

FrostByte

My server never installs the updates by itself.  Just reminds me there is a new version in the dashboard.  No special settings.  I'm running MB as a service, though I'm not sure that makes a difference.