WMC/MBC just gives me an error when trying to start any MKV or FLAC, but MP3 plays without problems.

knuta
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi

I'm very new to the whole MB system. I'm also using JRiver and sometimes XBMC, but I like to try new things too.

I honestly can't say I like anything about WMC, except maybe the animated "playing now" screen for music, that prevents burn-in on my plasma.

What I do like is the server part of MB3 and all the possibilities it has. I've changed the way my TV-Shows and movies are structured just to make the server work as intended.

Restructuring my music is a whole lot more problematic seeing as my collection of FLAC is just stupidly large at close to half a million tracks, but I'll see how MB handles that I guess.

Biggest problem I've seen is one folder I have where I have placed just single tracks not belonging to any album. The server didn't like that very much. Luckily at least 99.9% of my collection is complete albums in separate folders.

Of course the reason I decided to restructure for MB3 is because there will be a dedicated client for the PC some day, hopefully soon.

But, for now, I'm stuck with either playing through the browser or WMC/MBC.

Now that is where my problem lies. Playing through the browser (Chrome) works just fine with whatever format I throw at it, but MBC will just give me an error whenever I try to play MKVs or FLAC. For audio the error says "An audio error has occured (C00D0FEA)" and for video it says "Windows Media Center cannot find the specified file...." and so on. Playing MP3 works just fine. I don't know if it is a coincidence that it errors out on files that WMC doesn't natively support, but it sure seems that way. The strangest thing is that I'm sure video and FLAC played through the WMC/MBC combo the first day I used it at least, but now it refuses to work even though nothing has changed to my knowledge.

All my video files are shared from the same machine as the MP3s and all the drives have permissions set to "Full control" for "Everyone".  

I'll add a couple of screenshots that may or may not be useful. One shows there is a connection from MBC when I alt-tab out of the error. One shows playback of the same file through the server works and the last one just shows how my shared directories are added to MB3 server.

post-663-0-07247600-1382381860_thumb.png

post-663-0-38112900-1382381952_thumb.jpg

post-663-0-76126300-1382381864_thumb.png

• Solution

Install the LAV filters (Google it).

WMC cannot play those formats without additional codecs.

• Like 1

Worked!

Thanks for seeing the problem at once :-D

I hope I didn't offend you with the dislike for WMC. I just have a lot more confidence in the stand alone client you guys are working on, seeing how good the server part is :-)

Ugh, I spoke too early I guess. I just tried the movie and that worked.

FLAC still gives me the same error.

This is what I installed: https://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/downloads/detail?name=LAVFilters-0.58.2.exe

I hate wasting your time with these problems. Time you could have spent doing something useful :-)

Edited by knuta