Version for QNAP

Sparrowlogins

My qnap is 1 week old and I havn't had time to play much with it yet. As I understand there are 2 types of qnap, the arm based and the new intel based. The intel based shouldn't be that hard to support, and what's really interesting about these intel boxes is that they do automatic backround and on the fly hardware accelerated transcoding, it would be really cool to run Emby directly on the qnap and use the HW transcoding capability. I could already run it in a Virtual Machine since it supports that, but it seems qnap might get Docker support in next update so I guess that would be the better option. I tried docker briefly on ubuntu for MBserver, but I don't know much about it, don't know if it would remove the need for native qnap support, if there are any limitations in Docker.

I did my first transcoding test today and it's fast, it puts the transcoded media in a subfolder "@Transcode" from the original file. I would be really cool if Emby added better support for multiple files of same video. Rather than just list the video twice (a good start) it could give you the option to choose what file/quality to play, or even guess based on client type.

I'm hoping to do some more testing during easter, I will report back. This Qnap box is really more of a media center/streamer box than a NAS, with it's hdmi port for my tv and and support for several services (like kodi). It's really close to replacing all the services I run on my Esxi server.

EDIT:

As for the freenas suggestion, personally I'm migrating away from freenas to qnap. I've used freenas for a few years on server grade hardware and I've had my share of issues. And when when you go on freenas IRC, you get attitude like, this is NAS sofware, it's for serving you files, not for running a bunch of background services. Also for freenas you "need" server based hardware and ECC ram. ZFS filestystem is really nice, but you don't want to wake up first day of month with all your data corrupted because you had a faulty RAM during scrubbing.

Edited by KRA
  • Like 1

Gaitkeeper

My qnap is 1 week old and I havn't had time to play much with it yet. As I understand there are 2 types of qnap, the arm based and the new intel based.

So I assume you are using  the intel based if you are transcoding? If you don't mind me asking, which Qnap did you buy, what device are you serving your files to, and what format are your files saved in?

So I assume you are using  the intel based if you are transcoding? If you don't mind me asking, which Qnap did you buy, what device are you serving your files to, and what format are your files saved in?

I got the x53 series with 8GB of ram and quad core cpu. So far very little testing is done. I've tested kodi on the nas itself connected to my tv. Live-tv (tvheadend) works fine, I do however have an issue playing mkv files in kodi, mp4 works fine. The issue is same with emby plugin and local kodi playback. I'm using the official qnap kodi version, I know there are newer version of kodi and libs on the forum but havn't been able to test those yet.

I havn't tested on the fly transcoding yet, only background. The nas is serving files to several clients that don't need transcoding, will do more testing with pads etc later.

• Like 1

bennymac

I got the x53 series with 8GB of ram and quad core cpu. So far very little testing is done. I've tested kodi on the nas itself connected to my tv. Live-tv (tvheadend) works fine, I do however have an issue playing mkv files in kodi, mp4 works fine. The issue is same with emby plugin and local kodi playback. I'm using the official qnap kodi version, I know there are newer version of kodi and libs on the forum but havn't been able to test those yet.

I havn't tested on the fly transcoding yet, only background. The nas is serving files to several clients that don't need transcoding, will do more testing with pads etc later.

Been using QNAP Nas products for years now, at home and in business. Their software is great and the hardware choices available now is awesome. When Emby is available on QNAP i'll be moving to a intel version with HDMI-out for sure.

I installed a ubuntu 14.10 vm on the qnap, initial testing is working fine, but transcoding is problematic. Only solution I see is to transcode media beforehand with qnap transcoder, or the better option, if emby got gstreamer support. Gstreamer with quicksync doesn't work inside a vm as far as I know, so we would also need native qnap version of emby, maybe it would work with docker ?

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed it on my ts-453 pro. The server boots up but the performance is terrible. After adding 1 library the server became unresponsive. I'll keep posted if I get it resolved.

You will definitely want to make sure you're using ImageMagick Q8 and not Q16. Q16 is significantly slower.

You will definitely want to make sure you're using ImageMagick Q8 and not Q16. Q16 is significantly slower.

Ok, I'm using Q8 now, but I'm not getting the images. the request for the images just hangs on pending.

breezytm

Perhaps we should start a new thread with the Qnap qpkg for more people to test it and return their findings. So far everyone I know who tried it have the same exact issues.  it shouldn't be to hard to find a solution. 

Sparrowlogins

It would also be great for someone to translate the French site a bit, or give a quick run down of the steps needed to install and what needs to be installed in which order.

breezytm

@@Sparrowlogins google chrome would translate it for you if you click on translate. Anyway there aren't much to figure out besides download the latest version of Emby qpkg and mono 3.12.1.2 qpkg since it is a dependency from the first page. 

• 4 months later...
raven-au

@@Sparrowlogins google chrome would translate it for you if you click on translate. Anyway there aren't much to figure out besides download the latest version of Emby qpkg and mono 3.12.1.2 qpkg since it is a dependency from the first page. 

Mmm ... I hastily installed the latest Qmono, 4.0.1.0, and I find the server very slow on my TS-469 Pro.

Would Qmono 3.12.1.2 be better as it's a more mature version 3 rather than a less mature but later major version 4.0.1.0?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Better Version to use is QMono 3.10

Cant test on x69 series, but processor and memories are may be a bit light on this model

Stéphane (aka Qoolbox)

breezytm

I still get a bad experience with it doesn't matter which version of anything I use. I have many of other apps similar to Emby that requires Mono on my QNap and they work fine. Apps like Sonarr. It barely utilizes any resources. Emby takes all my cpu when i run it and trying to access it from an app and a few minutes later it stops responding and needs a restart.