Server - Stuttering? Causes 100% CPU Useage Version 3.0.5424.1

Heckler

Heckler

I'm not entirely sure how this is happening or why, the logs are showing nothing at all as far as I can see.

But the server is going to 100% CPU which has the effect of freezing the entire system for anything between a couple of seconds to 10-15... It's taken me several days to narrow it down to the specific cause because when everything freezes, you can't see which process is maxing it out... So I went through all of the processes and eventually found that it's the MBS process that's doing it.

All I can post to illustrate what's happening is this pic... as you can see MBS isn't running anything in the background and yet each one of those max spikes in task manager is caused by MBS. It's not intermittent either... it happens constantly.

Here's the log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12595174/Media%20Browser%20Stuff/server-63551406643.txt

serverspikes.JPG

Heckler

I should point out that it did appear to stop doing this... but approximately one hour after I'd rebooted the PC. Whilst it is happening, the frequence of this maxed out useage makes using that system almost impossible due to it freezing every few seconds.

But 20 mins later it started doing it again...

Edited by Heckler

Beardyname

I should point out that it did appear to stop doing this... but approximately one hour after I'd rebooted the PC. Whilst it is happening, the frequence of this maxed out useage makes using that system almost impossible due to it freezing every few seconds.

And you are sure it's not the ffmpg process that's causing this? (the program used for transcoding)

Heckler

I'm not watching anything at all whilst this is happening @@Beardyname

But as I edited my post... it started happening again about 20 mins later... Still nothing had been watched or attempted to be watched.

Edited by Heckler

Beardyname

I'm not watching anything at all whilst this is happening @@Beardyname

But as I edited my post... it started happening again about 20 mins later... Still nothing had been watched or attempted to be watched.

Really odd. For when a developer sees this can you attach a log? So they can see if there are any clues in the log files.

Beardyname

There's a link to the log in the first post.

Oh sorry missed it :) (they are usually at the bottom)

*edit*

I'm seeing loads and lods of :

Running BaseGenreCleanerRunning ArtistXmlProvider forArtistXmlProvider returned no metadata for 

not sure if that could be your problem but they sure take up most of your log.

Edited by Beardyname

FrostByte

The scanning process will cause my old dual core processor to max out while doing an initial scan as well as when transcoding movies with subtitles (though that part has gotten much better with recent releases).  Other than that I don't believe I'm seeing the same issues

Heckler

I'm running a 6 core AMD FX CPU @ 3.5ghz and 8GB ram, the OS is installed on an SSD and the video card is a 1GB 5670 rather than the onboard one... It flies along without issues once you shut down the server. I've spent a few days narrowing it down to it as the cause.

I'm stumped at the moment.

It is running those providers but they aren't doing anything for the most part.

Were those CPU spikes during the 12 minutes that the library scan was occurring?

Heckler

It is running those providers but they aren't doing anything for the most part.

Were those CPU spikes during the 12 minutes that the library scan was occurring?

I booted up the mediaserver, so the scan would have run in the first 12 mins after I logged in (server autostarts)... But the spikes/freezing continued for about an hour or so, then stopped for about 20 mins and then started again.

It must have stopped because about 8pm I started watching some shows on my mediaserver (with MBS installed) without any freezing... and I'm now looking at the logs and there's a fresh one that was created at 7 mins after 8pm 20:07 and then the new one created at midnight 00:00. The one created at 20:07 is more than 6mb in less than 4hrs... and that seems large to me considering the average file used to be less than 2mb.  However, I see logs dated the 9th 10th and 11th of Nov and all of them are huge in comparison.

9th Noc is 32mb

10th Nov is 10mb

11th Nov is a more normal 1.3mb

I'm trying to remember exactly which day I updated the server... But I'm pretty sure it was sometime last weekend... which was the 8-9th.