Samsung MB3 app and/or Samsung NextPVR app?

bocabill

bocabill

192grnddyjc4ejpg.jpg

Summary:  Installing (using the develop login on the Samsung TV) the MB3 app will remove the NextPVR app, and installing the NextPVR app will remove the MB3 app.

Long Version:  I love the promise and current functionality of the Samsung MB3 app and find it indispensable (Samsung's DNLA connection to MB is kludgy at best).  I understand that the MB3 app is a work in progress and that it is a voluntary "labor of love".

Unfortunately, the MB3 app is currently at a core feature set (not seeing/using all of the various server plugins) and so the "Live TV" MBS feature is (to my knowledge) only available via a web link to the MB server.  On my server, I have the NextPVR plugin installed for watching live TV and recordings.

There is a NextPVR app for the Samsung Smart-TV's, but there appears to be some sort of conflict when attempting to install it and the MB3 app.  The dev for the NextPVR app is aware of the issue  and while I don't understand the cause of the "either one or the other" conflict (if it's the TV, the install/update process, or a conflict with the two apps) it appears that the dev is willing and able to work out whatever issues are causing the conflict.

Until then, I am forced to chose between access to my MB3 movies/tv collections or the live/pvr OTA television shows on my Samsung, pick the app I want and then resort to the (featureless and lame) DNLA connection for the other functionality.

Has anyone encountered this issue?  Has anyone resolved it?  Any suggestions or ideas?

Edited by bocabill

FrostByte

Just throwing this out there, but I believe this app is on hold for awhile while the developer deals with some health issues.  I've never tried NextPVR either so I can't speak about it, but the MB Samsung app has all the basics and still works for me though I guess that could change eventually because of changes in the server program.

bocabill

Hi there,

The issue isn't with any particular app but with the way Samsung have implemented their development environment in the TV's - basically you can only have apps from one developer source installed at any one time (so tv uninstalls all developer apps and installs the ones on the server you have set) 

The only way around this officially is to have both our apps on the same server... I think some people have made an app loader for Samsungs once they are "jailbroken" but that is not a discussion I will have here. 

Sorry I have no better news.

I appreciate the quick and informative reply.  I also appreciate and thank you for your hard and impressive work on this app.

It appears (at least to my limited perspective) that the "real" issue is that until Samsung clears apps for their official listing, those of us who are using/testing/enjoy the apps that you and others make have to enjoy them "one at a time".  A pity, but it is understandable.

Once again, thank you.

chessdragon136

Hi there,

The issue isn't with any particular app but with the way Samsung have implemented their development environment in the TV's - basically you can only have apps from one developer source installed at any one time (so tv uninstalls all developer apps and installs the ones on the server you have set) 

The only way around this officially is to have both our apps on the same server... I think some people have made an app loader for Samsungs once they are "jailbroken" but that is not a discussion I will have here. 

Sorry I have no better news.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the author of both one of the NextPVR apps for Samsung and also the "apploader".

There is nothing jailbreaking about the apploader all it does is compile a widgetlist.xml with the preferred applications served from a local computer.

The applications themselves are served from their original places (as stated in their widgetlist.xml).

Since people over at NPVR were asking to have both my app and MB3 installed at the same time and MB3 is publicly available I took the liberty of adding it to the apploader.

I'll take it away if the authors don't approve.

NextPVR forum:

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?55518-New-LG-and-Samsung-NextPVR-Web-Smart-TV-App-available-for-beta-testing

Link to the apploader (windows only)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99953043/smarttv/SmartTVApploader.zip

/Fred250

I'm the author of both one of the NextPVR apps for Samsung and also the "apploader".

There is nothing jailbreaking about the apploader all it does is compile a widgetlist.xml with the preferred applications served from a local computer.

The applications themselves are served from their original places (as stated in their widgetlist.xml).

Since people over at NPVR were asking to have both my app and MB3 installed at the same time and MB3 is publicly available I took the liberty of adding it to the apploader.

NextPVR forum:

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?55518-New-LG-and-Samsung-NextPVR-Web-Smart-TV-App-available-for-beta-testing

/Fred250

Welcome !

• 4 weeks later...
chessdragon136

NextPVR forum:

/Fred250

Apologies, I thought the discussion related to another project I'm aware of!

And thank you, I haven't been active recently but I approve greatly, anything that makes install easier is a plus for me!

Edited by chessdragon136