android client crashes whenever browsing my large music library

rostar99

rostar99

Whenever I try to stream my music on the road the app will hang then crash while browsing through music.  It happens with in short time if I enter an area with spotty coverage but will eventually hang and crash even in a good coverage area if I browse the music library (455 GB) for too long.  I just tried it over wifi at home and it still hangs and crashes while browsing the music library.  Also notice if I am inside a music library view and my phone turns off the screen when I turn the screen back on I get a black screen and app crash. I have sent a few google crash reports on this but I am beginning to think I am running into a limitation of the client. Is there a size or number of item limitation for the library that the android client can handle?  Does the client reload the library cache every time you change views?  

client-9de5938b-6c8b-462f-9502-4227e89330d21.txt

client-2c3fd479-0955-4c33-9bd5-790842f5b3ae1.txt

client-fd3a144e-1e45-4870-b655-4ab3c2b077721.txt

client-a742d900-8c0a-4237-b1a1-9d91a01a452b1.txt

Edited by rostar99

I don't see it crash but I do have a very repeatable problem where if I search for a song and play it and then go "back" to the main screen, the app freezes on a black screen. If I go "home" or tap the 3 dots and pick search, the app remains responsive but otherwise it hangs when going "back."

I can recreate this later and post logs if needed...

Redshirt

In regards to the original post, the music view is going to receive some layout changes. The current tabbed view is too optimistic for some libraries it seems.

henr0. I believe I've just fixed the bug you've described. If you still see it after the next public update, then please do post logs. 

• 3 weeks later...
rostar99

Redshirt, tried out newest version and did not notice any changes to layout. It does take even longer to populate the artist tab and the album tab than before the latest update. It still crashes if you browse the music library. Could you explain how android client handles media library on server? Any suggestions to improve performance on my end short of cutting the library down?

Redshirt

There's nothing you can do really except wait for me to finish refactoring the music tabs. Cutting down the library would reduce the client strain, but that's not a solution.

judahrichardson

Same problem here. Besides that, search functionality is pretty awful.

I guess I'll have to move on to checking out yet another service to replace AudioGalaxy. So far Plex is trash, MediaBrowser crashes all the time, Subsonic's documentation is horrific. Any other ideas?

My idea is to help us with your feedback and not only will you benefit but so too will everyone else here. Based on comments above the crash is already being worked on so maybe you could open up a new topic with your feedback on search and we can use it to improve it. Keeping in mind we are currently working on better search suggestions as you type.