Software Raid

Airbender

Airbender

Hello Guys

Does anyone know any good Software that does Software Raid 1 and mirror 2 drives ?

i dont trust Windows built it Raid or mirror option and i am not sure how well does it work

Thanks

JeremyFr79

Windows mirroring works fine, not too much can go wrong with mirroring since both drives are the same "image" you can pull a drive an the other will work just fine even with windows built in RAID, nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Airbender

hello

how long it takes for windows mirror option to work ? in all you tube video it seem likey few munites which got me worried about software raid thing

JeremyFr79

hello

how long it takes for windows mirror option to work ? in all you tube video it seem likey few munites which got me worried about software raid thing

Didn't seem to take long at all on my machine.  But mirroring can be done in the background as well so it's not a huge issue.  It's not like building a RAID 5 array or something like that, that can take some serious time.

Airbender

FlexRAID for sure.

Hi i did not know that FlexRaid can do Mirror too ? i asked before but it seems no one answer me about that

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Should one use T-RAID or RAID-F if they were going the Flexraid option?  Purely for media storage.  I ask because currently using RAID-F, but if T-RAID is better I'll move to that one.

Edited by DigiTM

wraslor

Using raid-f here as well, plan on switching to t-raid at some point for one important feature.  if a drive fails in F your array is offline until repaired, with T only the data on the failed drive is missing and you can rebuild on the fly while still accessing all your other data, more of a hot swap method.

shaefurr

Yes flexraid can be used to mirror drives. Just google flexraid mirror to find the how to.

Using raid-f here as well, plan on switching to t-raid at some point for one important feature.  if a drive fails in F your array is offline until repaired, with T only the data on the failed drive is missing and you can rebuild on the fly while still accessing all your other data, more of a hot swap method.

Yeah that's handy.  Wonder if T-Raid can includes USB hard drives like F-Raid.  Also concerned that T-Raid does not support network mapped drives as part of the RAID?  Yet network mapping is best for Mediabrowser Server.  Unless I'm thinking of this wrong.

T-Raid does USB.  I have taken the plunge and trialing T-RAID.  Going to take forever though what with building a 38Tb raid :(   No viewing tonight, I think I should've checked with my partner before doing this. 

edit: 4 Hours and only 13%.

Edited by DigiTM

Airbender

Hi

so can someone explain the difference between T-Raid and F Raid because it not making any sense to me to be honest

• 4 weeks later...