MB Server - Next/Prev in Mobile Interface

kingy444

kingy444

Hopefully this is easy enough.

On the desktop web UI there are buttons on the top right and left for previous and next episodes

Would like a similar feature for the mobile web UI when viewing TV episodes

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
kingy444

For those wanting to add this you can add custom CSS on the Settings tab noting that @Luke and co would like to implement an alternative to 2 left arrows in the top left hand corner as noted here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25182-some-differences-between-desktop-and-mobile/

@media(max-width: 1200px) {
.lnkNextItem, .lnkPreviousItem  {
    display: block !important;
    position: absolute;
    top: 50px;
  }
.lnkNextItem.hide, .lnkPreviousItem.hide {
    display: none !important;
  }
}
Edited by kingy444

kingy444

You can add this custom css to your server manually through the main dashboard page, under Settings -> Branding

Just copy and paste as a workaround until luke and co have a solution

so i tried to copy / paste this into the iOS CSS line and found out that you cannot paste in the iOS app to that specific line.

I then did it in the normal desktop web interface and it worked fine, however it doesn't make any arrows or anything appear to move back and forth on the iOS app.  Is there something else to make it work?

I've rebooted the app and the server.

Edited by c_death

we can add them back to mobile if you guys can suggest a good place to put them. i haven't really had a chance to think about it

what about just swiping left or right across the screen when you are on the episode page?

just would have to make it so it wouldn't do it while scrolling up or down to prevent it moving left or right while scrolling (i have used an app that was too sensitive to this and it would constantly scroll left and right while i was trying to read an article, was very annoying)

if that can't be done easily, and buttons are better, they could be put at the top of the page where the back button is on the far left

Edited by c_death
  • Like 1

kingy444

@@Luke

What about rather than changing them on mobile going with where i put them, and changing the default 'back' icon that is next to the home button to a curly return arrow?

Something like this? https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/146129/arrow_back_backward_bent_big_curved_edit_go_back_last_left_previous_rearward_reply_return_u-turn_undo_up_icon

no straight left arrow has become a universal back symbol, except on apple platforms where they prefer the caret

swiping is fine but without a button you might never discover it.

Probably still okay since most mobile browsers now use swiping for both forward and back.

Vidman

Probably still okay since most mobile browsers now use swiping for both forward and back.

This seems to be the opposite of your usual argument regarding the obviousness of controls and users having to discover them;) Edited by Vidman

kingy444

Think swiping is obvious enough with everything nowadays doing it this way

Though i would maybe restrict to only swiping the cover image?

To prevent accidental navigation?

This seems to be the opposite of your usual argument regarding the obviousness of controls and users having to discover them;)

Yes, but with touch interfaces things are a little different because the paradigm is that you are supposed to be able to manipulate the items on the screen as if they were real, physical objects.  People have been trained to this for over a decade now plus, it is an intuitive thing for someone who's never seen it to attempt.

For instance, there are no scroll-bars that you have to click on to scroll the page.  You just grab the page and move it.  The side-version of this is akin to flipping pages in a book so I think that lends itself well to this particular feature.