FreeBSD Package

Luke

Starting a new topic. The download page will point to here for more info.

Installation Instructions

See https://emby.media/download

545ebda5cbaad_logofullthumb.png

FreeBSD is an advanced computer operating system used to power modern servers, desktops and embedded platforms. A large community has continually developed it for more than thirty years. Its advanced networking, security and storage features have made FreeBSD the platform of choice for many of the busiest web sites and most pervasive embedded networking and storage devices.

• Like 4

woodsb02

For those trying to get MediaBrowser working on FreeBSD, there are currently a few issues with the underlying C# interpreter (mono). I have submitted fixes that resolve these issues, but until they are accepted you will need the patches from both of these bug reports in your mono (just put them in your /usr/ports/lang/mono/files folder before building the mono port):

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=194660

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=194845

For those trying to get MediaBrowser working on FreeBSD, there are currently a few issues with the underlying C# interpreter (mono). I have submitted fixes that resolve these issues, but until they are accepted you will need the patches from both of these bug reports in your mono (just put them in your /usr/ports/lang/mono/files folder before building the mono port):

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=194660

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=194845

should we just build it and have a downloadable version ready?

woodsb02

should we just build it and have a downloadable version ready?

I guess we could host a patched version of the mono package for FreeBSD on the mediabrowser website... some thoughts as to why that may not be necessary:

1. Failing to do this only affects DLNA functionality.

2. Would we rebuild it each time mono is updated?

3. If people are using FreeNAS or PCBSD they can just use the pbi built by josh4trunks, which is essentially a bundled package which includes all dependencies (including patched mono).

4. If people are using FreeBSD they are probably used to the ports System and how patches work. When they Google "why isn't DLNA working on my FreeBSD mediabrowser, they will find these instructions :)

It affects the server's ability to query network interfaces on the machine, which may prevent MBS from determine the local network ip address, and that would be a problem elsewhere.

As far as updating mono, it's generally not a big deal. We rarely need to update mono for new features. When there's a fix for a major issue that's generally the only reason.

woodsb02

I think MBS can still get the local IP address without these patches (mono uses getifaddrs for that which is common between Linux and FreeBSD).

The only things affected are the ability to detect the gateway, and the failure of the DLNA code which tries to perform multicast magic.

woodsb02

This was the more important of the 2 fixes - it allows FreeBSD mono to do the multicast stuff for DLNA.

The outstanding fix is to allow mono to determine the gateway address (seems less important?)

• 1 year later...
abzahri.abazizis

I am using the FreeBSD pkg version emby-server. The windows version have been updated a few times but update for FreeBSD is absent. Any reason?

565662ec0b3c2_2015112609_32_42.jpg

Edited by abzahri.abazizis

I am using the FreeBSD pkg version emby-server. The windows version have been updated a few times but update for FreeBSD is absent. Any reason?

565662ec0b3c2_2015112609_32_42.jpg

Hi, unfortunately the contributor who was maintaining it has not been around lately. You can probably upgrade manually though by locating your installation folder. then go here and download Emby.Mono.zip:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/tag/3.0.5781.3

look at the file names to find the equivalent directory in your installation and then overwrite them. Please make sure to back everything up before doing this as I'm not sure I've seen any BSD users do this before.

pclausen

So it looks like most of the files exists in the following 2 locations:

/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/

and

/usr/local/lib/emby-server/

Do we copy the files to both destinations?

I haven't found where MediaInfo/osx/libmediainfo.dylib lives yet.

I would be very cool if someone could create a script or something that would let us apply the Emby.Mono.zip file ourselves when a new version comes out.

sluggo45

No. Just turn off your plugin (in the FreeNAS gui, not the Emby gui) then unzip Emby.mono.zip to a temp directory and copy them to

/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/

I'd do  "cp -Rfp" which will recursively copy, force overwrite without prompting, and preserve timestamps/owner/etc. "cp -a" should do the same thing. 

Then just start the plugin again and you are set.

"dylib" are dynamic library files for OSX. You don't need them for this; they are for Mono running under OSX. I deleted them out of mine (and they aren't included in the PBI either). 

If you do an ls -l of "/usr/local/lib/emby-server/" you'll see those are all just symlinks pointing back to "/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/". 

I did this, btw. Working fine so far and the Emby gui shows 5781.3. Note that the FreeNAS gui/plugins will still show 5781.1 as the version since we didn't go the full PBI route (which updates the plugin database). However this shouldn't be a problem since when an official 5781.3 (or later) pbi is released it'll just upgrade the files again anyway.

**NOTE** This works for me but I can't guarantee it won't break your system. At the very least backup the /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/ directory via tar or something. You should be running regular snapshots of your jails anyway which would be an even quicker way to get back to where you were if something goes wrong. 

I may get around to creating a pbi out of an updated port - though this will do for now - and it'd be better if the existing maintainer returned since he/she has a path to update the official FreeNAS repo and I don't. 

Edited by sluggo45

josh4trunks

@@pclausen @@sluggo45

You guys are describing where the program files are for the FreeNAS plugin (PBI), but not the location @@abzahri.abazizis needs since he is using the FreeBSD pkg. In his case he should replace /usr/pbi/emby-amd64 with /usr/local

Also I'll update the FreeNAS plugin when I get back home this Saturday (available Sunday from the repo) and @@woodsb02 already submiited the request to update the FreeBSD port. Once it is committed, it will need to be built by the FreeBSD build servers and will be available.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=204728

@@pclausen @@sluggo45

You guys are describing where the program files are for the FreeNAS plugin (PBI), but not the location @@abzahri.abazizis needs since he is using the FreeBSD pkg. In his case he should replace /usr/pbi/emby-amd64 with /usr/local

Also I'll update the FreeNAS plugin when I get back home this Saturday (available Sunday from the repo) and @@woodsb02 already submiited the request to update the FreeBSD port. Once it is committed, it will need to be built by the FreeBSD build servers and will be available.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=204728

As always, thanks to both of you.

spencerisadog

Hey Josh,

Did you get a chance to update the plugin yesterday?  I'm not seeing it yet today.

Thanks!

I just grabbed it.  I had to go to let the "available" list populate before the "installed" tab knew there was an update.

josh4trunks

Hey Josh,

Did you get a chance to update the plugin yesterday?  I'm not seeing it yet today.

Thanks!

Yeah, it should be there. Sometimes the FreeNAS mirrors don't migrate out the changes for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
pclausen

I get this when I try:

root@emby_2:/var/db/emby-server # pkg add emby-server-3.0.5781.8.txz
pkg: Skipping unknown key 'messages'
[emby_2] Installing emby-server-3.0.5781.8...
pkg: Missing dependency matching Origin: 'lang/mono' Version: '4.2.1.102'

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): emby-server-3.0.5781.8.txz
root@emby_2:/var/db/emby-server #

kjp4756

I get this when I try:

root@emby_2:/var/db/emby-server # pkg add emby-server-3.0.5781.8.txz
pkg: Skipping unknown key 'messages'
[emby_2] Installing emby-server-3.0.5781.8...
pkg: Missing dependency matching Origin: 'lang/mono' Version: '4.2.1.102'

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): emby-server-3.0.5781.8.txz
root@emby_2:/var/db/emby-server #

You need to install mono.  I thought pkg would automatically do that but I guess it doesn't when manually installing a stand-alone package.

Install emby-server from the freebsd repo:

pkg install emby-server

That will install all of the dependancies.

Then remove the outdated version that you just installed:

pkg delete emby-server

After that is complete try installing the posted package using pkg add

EDIT: Wait a sec.  Don't you use the freenas pbi?  If so, this package isn't for the freenas pbi.  It's for freebsd standalone or else a freebsd standard jail in freenas.  

Edited by kjp4756

pclausen

Yes, I run Emby as a pbi under FreeNAS.

I guess that explains it.  Hopefully Josh will get the current version released as a pbi soon.

Thanks

EDIT:  Looks like the latest version just became available as a pbi!

Edited by pclausen

Hi.

Using the ports way on my FreeBSD.

Failing to upgrade to this latest release.

Does not seem to fetch the 5781.8, amd64 version. 

This is what i done...

sudo service emby-server stop
portsnap fetch update
sudo portupgrade -R /multimedia/emby-server
sudo service emby-server start

Solutions?