Server update from v3.0.5395.0 to 3.0.5424.1 not working

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Greetings,

My MBS has tried to update now from v3.0.5395.0 to 3.0.5424.1.

The update starts every time the server starts, but then when I restart, the server never restarts and then reverts back to  v3.0.5395.0 and autoupdates (as per configuration) to v3.0.5424.1 and asks to restart again.

It's in an endless loop.

Latest restart file attatched

server-63550978211.txt

That looks like it works fine.  If you look in %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Installlogs\ is there a server-update.log?

No such folder exists.

It pretty much has to.  This is on the same level as MediaBrowser-Server, not under it (which is the listing you provided).

Lighthammer

This is literally the structure.

\AppData\
\AppData\Roaming

\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server

The computer Mediabrowser is running on is very spartan program wise.

So no, its literally not there unless I am looking at the wrong place.

And yes, for the record, Hidden files ARE shown and this account has full admin rights.

This is running on Windows 8.1

Edited by Lighthammer

Lighthammer

If I straight reinstall from the installer for the newest server, will it override my current settings or keep the current settings? 

Lighthammer

Since I've been having this problem, I turned off Auto-Updates under [Advanced -> Auto Updates -> Allow Updates], but the updates kept trying to download, apply and restart (resulting in the server never restarting and oddles of downtime as a result).

Due to this additional bug, I've been forced delete the tasks under Schedule Tasks to check for updates.

For my documentation, I deleted both the check every 24 hours task and check at startup task.

Beardyname

If I straight reinstall from the installer for the newest server, will it override my current settings or keep the current settings? 

Make a backup of your folders before doing a re-install, this way you can always do a restore. (Also I found that if you fiddle around in the system.xml and change <EnableAutoUpdate>true</EnableAutoUpdate> to false it won't install updates even if you try to, but this is really ugly :P )

Reinstalling from the web site will not overwrite your configuration.

The fact that folder isn't there may be a symptom of the problem.  Are you sure the user running the server has full rights to its own appdata folder?  I have seen cases where they didn't.

Lighthammer

Positive it does. 

I even specifically granted it full rights manually to be on the safe side when I set everything up. 

This is the first update that's been problematic.

I'm having the same issue, but I updated from beta v3.0.5416.0 to official release v3.0.5424.1

Server Update log; https://www.dropbox.com/s/acdb3u4spgh3t22/server-update.log?dl=0

Server log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4jesnon1exibya/server-63551177434.txt?dl=0

Having what issue?  Your server updated correctly.

Scott750

The same issue as the OP. Didn't you see all of the "media browser failed to start" errors in the server log? Did you look thru my server log at all?

Edited by Scott750

The same issue as the OP. Didn't you see all of the "media browser failed to start" errors in the server log? Did you look thru my server log at all?

Yes, I did and the update log says you updated successfully and the server log says it is running the updated version.

2014-11-10 00:50:36.6016 Info - App: Application version: 3.0.5424.1

Then, aside from the fact that it looks like you cannot resolve DNS to find our servers, everything appears to run fine.  The server log does not say it shut down or rolled back or anything like that...

Scott750

Well just because it updated successfully doesn't mean that update is working. Why am I getting DNS errors after the update?

So little update: I can connect to the web client on the server using the localhost address. But if I use the external IP address it won't find it. Why?

Edited by Scott750

Well just because it updated successfully doesn't mean that update is working. 

Okay, but I'm totally lost as to what isn't working because I don't see anything in that log (other than the fact you can't get out to the internet) that appears to be a problem.  Did your server shut down?  The OP said his shut down and wanted to install the update again and I don't see that happening in your log.

Scott750

Well I guess my issue is I can't open the webclient on any of my HTPCs. Only the server can open up the web client using the localhost address. I only use the web client on the HTPC so when it failed to open I thought the server wasn't starting.

Okay, that sounds like a completely different issue.  You should start another thread with a screen capture of what you see and any error messages that occur.

However, noticing that your server cannot reach the Internet, perhaps that is the issue and the networking is not working at all on that machine...