Ffmpeg question regarding constant bit rate

george

Hi

I would like to know if you have setup ffmpeg to generate the stream with variable bitrate or constant?

I figured out that ffmpeg does not generate stream constant but variable.

I can upload my router's traffic graph.

I watch tv from the internet and whenever I select the 720kbits profile the stream stops for a second

but in 480kbits everything is fine. 

After that observation I checked both profiles at my Asus router traffic management and I realized

both profiles are variable bitrate. 

That makes sense since my upload speed is 1023Kbits and at 720Kbits profile the overshoot

is approaching 1080Kbits

Is there any chance to force ffmpeg to be generating constant bitrate at the given profile?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this post is in a different section but I still see the problem even with the latest beta

The bitrate for a given profile is not constant. For example I select the 480-720kbits and the bitrate goes up and down

and my connection throttle it so the stream stops

Is there something we can do about it?

we don't currently have any settings to force CBR. it's something we can consider. in the meantime i would just lower the setting a little more stay within the limit you need

Hi Luke.

Is there any way to have my own profile with ffmpeg settings ?

For example I would like to have a 900Kbit, 480p profile and CBR settings in ffmpeg

Which files do I need to edit in order to apply the above?

Thanks

you would need to look at the source code for whatever app you're playing from. most are available on github