Backup & Restore plugin compatibility ?

tekni63

tekni63

Hello community!

I'm experiencing a small problem today, I tried to update my Emby container on my synology.

I currently have version 4 7 10 0 with the Backup & Restore 1.5.1 plugin, which I used successfully every time for my container update.

So I created another container with version 4.8.6.0 and added the B&R plugin, but in version 1.6.4.0 (I have no choice, I can't install a lower version of this plugin).

I understand that B&R has changed a lot between these two versions and offers “Meta subfolders in Backup”.

(as in the picture, version 1.5.1 on the left, 1.6.4.0 on the right, and I suspect that the two are not compatible)

Does anyone know why I'm having such a hard time?

EmbyBR.thumb.jpg.b07cb87a6eaf55469932852e8b3250c7.jpg

Happy2Play

They are two different plugins unfortunately it keep the same name on change.

Version wise they are not compatible for 4.7 and 4.8 and have two different functionalities.

4.7 was user/userdata and configuration.

4.8 is databases and /metadata.

What do you need to accomplish?

tekni63

Thanks for your feedback
I'm looking to update my container or create one with the latest version (4.8.6.0) while preserving the data of all my users (especially for the history), as well as all my media libraries.
I had no trouble doing this before, because I could restore my configuration with B&R without any problem, but now I'm stuck and can't restore data with this plugin...
I hope I'm clearer, if there's any other solution and/or something simpler, I'm interested too 😊

Happy2Play
46 minutes ago, tekni63 said:

Thanks for your feedback
I'm looking to update my container or create one with the latest version (4.8.6.0) while preserving the data of all my users (especially for the history), as well as all my media libraries.
I had no trouble doing this before, because I could restore my configuration with B&R without any problem, but now I'm stuck and can't restore data with this plugin...
I hope I'm clearer, if there's any other solution and/or something simpler, I'm interested too 😊

Unfortuanately there is no way to do this from an old 4.7 to new 4.8 standpoint as you would have to upgrade old to new or migrate entire Emby programdata folder from container to container.

Now going forward 4.8+ and you backup everything in theory you can restore into another container.

tekni63

When I created my second container in 4.8, the plugin's interface (b&r) doesn't let me access the backups I made in 4.7.

Happy2Play
39 minutes ago, tekni63 said:

When I created my second container in 4.8, the plugin's interface (b&r) doesn't let me access the backups I made in 4.7.

Correct as they are not compatible.  There is a Legacy plugin that will only read the used data and nothing else for previous 4.7 backups.  So no configs or users only userdata meaning you have to manually add users then remap data.

I will have to search the forum to see if there is still a link to the legacy plugin.

tekni63
Posted (edited)

Thanks again for your feedback.
It's a bit of a shame that it's not compatible because I won't be able to get everything back just because of that.
Needless to say, I think it's stupid but there must be a good reason.

Edited by tekni63