Jellyfish stuttering playback

hokey1

hokey1

I have been testing some high bitrate files.  Streaming on my home network.  Using emby for Android the 250mbs file version will not start.  Using a dune homatics box.  Plex and the dune player have no issues.  Also testing 95mbs bitrate the playback is stuttery.  Again no issue with other players on the same box.  Log attached. Thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-64ada689-1e00-41ec-aa34-e3e75456c829_1.txt

Happy2Play
Posted (edited)

Device limit

&VideoBitrate=160000000

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

System does not have enough power to process media fast enough to watch.

14:09:40.172 elapsed=00:00:09.34 frame=   68 fps=7.3 q=29.0 size=N/A time=00:00:01.33 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.143x 

So first question is what is playback quality set to?

Is this a true limit of the device?

Probably the only way to test will be disabling transcoding on the user as I am not familiar with device/client playback limits but believe 160Mbps is highest available option.

Edited by Happy2Play

hokey1
  1. 1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Auto

No, on the same device, Plex and the dune built-in player have no issue.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, hokey1 said:

Auto

No, on the same device, Plex and the dune built-in player have no issue.

Dev will have to comment more but the max limit appears to be 160Mbps or should say a hard limit coded into the app.

As mentioned if you disable transcoding on the User does it direct plays as your server cannot handle the transcoding.

Per user settings disable 2 and 3 to test as this can cause items to not playback at all.  If it plays then it would be a request to change max limits on device.

image.png.b157558b1aaa0c48c577ffb2344e2186.png

But to a point extreme bitrate files will be an issue no matter what they are played on.

I guess we'll have to add higher quality selection options. I've never seen a file with such a high bitrate before.

21 hours ago, Luke said:

I guess we'll have to add higher quality selection options. I've never seen a file with such a high bitrate before.

There is never going to be one in real life.  There is no point.  

swallman
11 hours ago, ebr said:

There is never going to be one in real life.  There is no point.  

Actually using those large files is an excellent way to test your network for streaming though. I don’t know how hard it is to add higher bitrates but I believe the old ATV app goes to 1000?

46 minutes ago, swallman said:

I don’t know how hard it is to add higher bitrates

It isn't that it is hard.  It is that it is more likely someone will create a problem by selecting such a high bitrate than solve one.

• Agree 1

RanmaCanada
3 hours ago, swallman said:

Actually using those large files is an excellent way to test your network for streaming though. I don’t know how hard it is to add higher bitrates but I believe the old ATV app goes to 1000?

There are actual iso limits in regards to streaming bitrates. Any players that go over those limits aren't adhering to standards. 4k UHD for example has a limit of 128mbit for the video. To get any higher, you need a player that supports 8k which has an iso limit of 250mbit.

• Like 1