Tone Mapping?

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

How would I know when and when not to use tone mapping ?

image.png.7ab2d2858a5802f9f7cfa17c2fa7da3c.png

When you have HDR content that needs to be converted for any reason.  The only reason to disable those is if you are having a problem with them (like the machine doesn't have enough grunt to do it).

chrisrobbins1970

So for the Synology DS1520+... which is better software/hardware tone mapping?

Lessaj

It has an Intel CPU with QuickSync right? If so, hardware.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
shorty1483

@ebr @softworkzwanna hop into this thread simply because I do not want to open an extra one for that sind it surely has been asked before but I cannot find it. Last time I used that feature is a long time ago and a lot improved since then.

One questions that came to my mind regarding tone mapping:

Is there a mechanism for Emby server to determine when to use tone mapping on a file? Or is there no one except from another trigger that triggers transcoding in general? Example: I have a 4K HDR stream. When I play it with Theater (default settings) connected to a 1080p non HDR monitor via HDMI or DP, there is no tone mapping because Theater direct plays the file, even it's 4K. If I lower max bitrate in App settings to 1080p 60Mbit, video gets transcoded and tonemapped. It would be nice if tonemapping would get triggered without have to force transcode the video. E.g. with a checkbox in app settings to tell the server that every HDR stream needs to be tone mapped or something like this.

Or am I just not smart enough to find a setting for the above desired behaviour? Is this even possible?

Thanks guys!